December 7, 2016 Meeting of Library Faculty Meeting

Time and Location of Meeting

December 7, 20163:00 pm - 4:30 pm 126 iSchool

Agenda Details


1.                  Call to Order
2.                  Standing Items:

2.1              Adoption of the agenda – John Wilkin
2.2              Approval of the Minutes of the October Faculty Meeting
2.3              Report of the University Librarian (15 minutes – John Wilkin)
2.4              Executive Committee Report and Discussion (15 minutes – Nancy O’Brien)

3.                  Discussion Topics

3.1              Update on the CAPT (Collections, Access, Policy, and Technology) Committee (15 minutes –Tom Teper, Tom Habing
3.2              The Savvy Researcher: A Review 2006-2016 (15 minutes –Merinda Kaye Hensley and Elizabeth Wickes)
4.                  New Business
5.                  Announcements
6.                  Adjournment

Minutes Details


1.    Call to Order– John Wilkin called the meeting to order at 3pm. 

2.    Standing Items:

2.1    Adoption of the agenda –The Agenda of the meeting was adopted as distributed.
Motioned by Qiang Jin, and seconded by Kirstin Dougan

2.2    Approval of the Minutes of the October Faculty Meeting –Nancy O’Brien made changes to the minutes, and had a question about the Dean’s report, section 2.4 second paragraph, and suggested to strike the last sentence. A motion by Nancy     O’Brien and seconded by Qiang Jin called for approval of the amended minutes of the Oct. 21, 2016 meeting.

2.3    Report of the University Librarian (15 minutes – John Wilkin)
Signage to display our commitment for being a welcoming space. This will show up on digital signage around the library. JoAnn Jacoby mentioned table tents are also available and answered “yes” to the question of whether there is a way to get this information on the web page.

Updates on new meeting of Provost and Chancellor. Some discussions on the ethnic issues and aftermath of the Ohio State incident. Reminded unit heads to reinforce the message about what we need to do and where to find information in case of an emergency, i.e. Illini Alert.

New salary minimums for FSLA exempt status. As seen in the news, despite the fact that the litigation has left things in limbo, the campus will move forward with the planned increases. Minimal budgetary implications for the Library. We will have to pay attention to part-time status going forward because that is a variable. It was pretty much that way around campus. A poll of other Big Ten institutions found that they tend to be evenly divided into three groups: those that decided to go forward, those that are waiting for what will probably be a rollback of the decision, and those who have decided not to do this.

Sanctuary effort. At the university level, the feeling is how we can be supportive with efforts for a welcoming environment and strong community.

Budget Reform Committee (John is Chair). The Working Group focused on systems to support different budget projects and budget models. By the end of the calendar year, there will be two working groups. Some significant changes will occur over time.

John also mentioned campus support for dual careers and TOP hires. We continue to respond to the influx of urgent salary, equity, and retention issues.

CIC/BTAA Semi-annual directors meeting. The meeting approved proposals for the shared print repository 2.0. Illinois has a commitment to store 250,000 volumes; this will primarily focus on journals. We renewed our commitment to Large-Scale Acquisitions program for another 3 years. We will see a lot more collaborative efforts in the future. The Digital Scholarship Support for the ARL Digital Scholarship Institute is moving forward, which underlines another collaborative activity.

Nancy O’Brien raised a question pertaining to information on when the State will release funds. John replied that the situation continues to be uncertain, but we haven’t been asked to do additional reductions.

Qiang Jin praised the library’s “welcome” signage, and asked if campus is doing something as well. Cindy Ingold mentioned that there will be a lot going on for campus sanctuary. The Chancellor is committed to making this a safe space for all students. The Senate passed a resolution confirming that we are a diverse and inclusive environment that supports ethnic studies. John added that the general commitment as a campus is strong. Everyone is being attentive to this. Our diversity and our sense of who we are is very strong. We will continue to see related efforts.

Ingold also shared a campaign initiative she is involved in, along with Urbana Free Library, Champaign Public Library, and others. She asked anyone who is thinking of doing something to contact Cindy and Zoe Revell.

2.4    Executive Committee Report and Discussion (15 minutes – Nancy O’Brien)

EC has met at three times since the October faculty meeting.

EC meeting summary:

The chair of the Bylaws Committee, Bill Maher, met with the Executive Committee to discuss zero percent appointments. The Bylaws Committee will propose an option for such appointments and bring it to a future faculty meeting for discussion and eventual voting.

Additional discussions were held about the final report of the Task Force on Academic Promotional Paths, and the report was accepted and implementation will move forward.

CARLI’s budget pressures were discussed briefly and it was confirmed that CARLI’s budget is administered by central university administration and is not tied to the Urbana campus.

ClimateQual next steps were discussed with Cindy Ingold. Changes will be made to committee pages to clarify eligibility for membership. Archiving of the Library News list will also be investigated.

A committee to conduct a five year review for a unit head was appointed.

Committee and PRC member appointments were discussed and made, as was a recommendation for a title change for a Library faculty member. Names of paper preparers were also considered for faculty going up for tenure and/or promotion.

The New Service Model for the Vet Med Library was discussed and the document was posted to the Executive Committee website.

The Executive Committee will review funding for various committees to determine if adjustments need to be made.

In addition to the residency program being planned for the Library, the Big Ten Academic Alliance is investigating a similar type of program for underrepresented doctoral and post-doctoral individuals.

Some discussion of what information was required from Divisions for making recommendations for emeritus/emerita status occurred. Although there is no document describing that information, such recommendations should discuss an individual’s professional contributions that warrant emeritus status.

With the AULs in attendance we discussed next steps and plans for the January Library retreat. The format and topics are being finalized and will be shared fairly soon. In addition, a proposal for connecting innovation grants to the Strategic Framework for 2017 was discussed, and will be revised for distribution.

3.    Discussion Topics

3.1    Update on the CAPT (Collections, Access, Policy, and Technology) Committee (15 minutes –Tom Teper, Tom Habing

Habing explained the purpose of the talk: It’s been less than a year since we revised the charge for CAPT. The one-year mark provides an opportunity for introspection on the effectiveness of our efforts so far. He emphasized that the purpose of the Working Groups are to take action, not to set the policy and standards. There are 50 faculty and staff members on CAPT or a WG. CAPT will submit a report to EC, which is also under consideration for publishing in LON. Anyone with comments, questions or suggestions contact Tom H. or Tom T.

3.2    The Savvy Researcher: A Review 2006-2016 (15 minutes –Merinda Kaye Hensley and Elizabeth Wickes)

Merinda provided an overview and background of the Savvy Researcher (SR) she had been doing for 10 years. She also shared her experience on how to conduct a good workshop. She thinks that the measurement for a successful workshop is not the attendance of a workshop, but if it helps students in their research process. One question to keep in mind is at which point students are blocked during their research process. She also thinks that the workshop is an effective outreach mechanism to tell campus how we can help. The workshop topics can be very broad to include collecting and using Data, GIS, as well as something like how to create a PowerPoint presentation. In her slides, she shared samples of workshop titles over the years and the growth of Savvy Researcher from 2007-2016. Merinda has been working with LAS to offer workshops and with GSLIS for an advanced instruction course. She gets workshops ideas from GAs, students, and colleagues. She shared some ideas for new workshops in 2017. Please let her know if there are any other ideas.

So far, marketing of SR has relied on word of mouth. The Grad Links goes out Sunday evenings with the workshops for the next week listed. After switching calendar to the Webtools calendar, attendance rates increased.

She shared her thoughts about conducting workshops online, but because the workshops are hands-on and interactive, it is hard to teach online. Workshops have support through Libguides.

She has done informal assessment to see how things are going in the classrooms. Methods include observations, student surveys, and requesting one page papers for ideas.

JoAnn Jacoby and Qiang Jin praised the Savvy Researcher workshops. Jin asked if Merinda has thought about recording them and uploading online. Merinda said it has been discussed, but as workshops are hands-on and interactive, the recording is not a good replacement for attending in person.

Tom Habing suggested that one of the outreach methods for undergrads might be to reach out to their parents.

John suggested that we learn from experience in terms of ensuring a persistent design and methodology. We should think about instruction as a part of what we do to make the campus successful.

4.    New Business
5.    Announcements
Greg Knott – Monday is the deadline for submitting GA requests. The form is a little different; brevity is encouraged to expedite the process. After the first of the year, the evaluation process will be distributed. This process will be more automated. Nancy O’Brien commented that the online form has a limit of 50 words or 250 characters, which is not sufficient.

Celestina Savonius-Wroth – The party for Tom Weissinger’s retirement is on Friday 3-4:30pm at HPNL.

6.    Meeting adjourned at 4:14pm