Time and Location of Meeting
December 19, 2013
Agenda not yet available.
IAS Staff Meeting
December 19, 2013
Present: Jan Adamczyk, Atoma Batoma, Shuyong Jiang, Laila Hussen, Lisa Renee Kemplin , Joe Lenkart, Larry Miller, Xiaoping Qi, Lynne Rudasill, Antonio Sotomayor, Mara Thacker, and Steve Witt
Guests: Joshua Harris and Michael Norman
Barry Pittendrigh and Maria Bello Bravo gave a presentation on SAWBO, University of Illinois initiative to create educational animated material for developing countries. They are looking for collaborations with the library for technical and preservation support. Michael indicated that CAM is interested in helping to catalog their project. Joshua suggested a follow up meeting to explore the preservation elements.
- IAS Holiday Party is 6pm tonight at Jupiter’s at the Crossing.
- IAS’ winter break schedule begins January 2-17. Library hours will be M-F 9-5 and closed on weekends. The spring schedule begins January 21 and will resume the usual hours of operation M-Th 9-7, F 9-5, Sat./Sun. 1-5.
- Reminder of the area specialist bench marking survey.
- Martin Tracy’s Social Cohesion Initiative of the Stability Pact for South Eastern Europe and Related Projects is in IDEALS and may be especially useful to those who are interested in social welfare in Eastern Europe.
- A new website for Health and Safety will be launched. This was created in part with students from Study Abroad program.
- The best way to communicate the need for additional GA’s for 2014-15.
- Importance of IAS representation on committees such as EC, PT and elected committees.
- The International Reference Librarian Search Committee-Met this week to finalize approval of the position and review the job description. Please pass on any suggestions on places and or people to assist in promoting the advertisement of this position. David Ward is the chair of this committee.
- IAS Reference and User Services-Next meeting is January 16 at 2pm. The IRB application was approved for Phase I. The study will be deployed in January. There has been some work on creating bookmarks. The reference email has been created and will be discussed at the next meeting. Ideas for the border of the bulletin board outside of RM 321 have been circulated to staff. This will be discussed at the next staff meeting.
- IFLA Governing Board and Professional Committee-Next year’s conference will be in Lyon, France on August 16-22, 2014. There is a call for posters. The following year it will be held in Cape Town, South Africa on August 13-21, 2015. IFLA worked with WIPO and were instrumental in supporting libraries and archives for copyright exceptions in other countries. IFLA is also working on approving the reputation of their journal.
- Slavic Reference Service- Will be working on a libguide on Russian Violence for the Fisher Forum. Have added Desk Tracker to the existing methods of tracking statistics. In addition to Larry’s annual review of materials, Slavic Service will be creating a “tracking sources” column for the Slavic Review.
- Room 1 Slavic Backlog-CMS has searched approximately 80% of the Slavic materials. There are 10,000-15,000 monographs that require original cataloging. These have been divided into languages. There is a large gift collection from SIU Edwardsville. The room needs prioritizing as well as staff to catalog the materials. The scanning project for unique materials has begun for Russian, Hungarian, Czechoslovakian, and Ukrainian.
To be discussed at the next staff meeting:
- IAS Outreach for Spring 2014
- World Newspaper Archive
- Border for Bulletin Board