August 24, 2020 Meeting of Executive Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

August 24, 20201:30 pm - 3:00 pm Zoom Meeting

Agenda Details

Agenda

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

AGENDA

August 24, 2020

1:30-3:00pm

Zoom Meeting

 

  1. Introduction to inclusion of LCAP/LSSC in future meetings
  2. Budget reduction priorities (including LSSC & LCAP)
  3. Approve minutes – August 10
  4. New officers
  5. Question Time
  6. Strategic Funding OER Spring/extension – Sara Benson
  7. Special Collections project subgroups/charge
  8. Recommendations from ad hoc DEIA Group
  9. Draft request to formalize Wellness Subcommittee

Minutes Details

Minutes

EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE

Minutes

August 24, 2020

1:30-3:00 pm

Zoom Conference Call

 

Attendees: John Wilkin (Chair); David Ward (Vice-Chair); William Maher; Mara Thacker; Jennifer Teper (Secretary); Mary Laskowski; Sara Holder; Dan Tracy; Peg Burnette, and Kelli Trei. Lucretia Williams; Recording

 

LCAP/LSSC: Chapman, Erik Dale; Cross, Julia Ann Keener; Hynes, Tony J; Braun, Bernadette M; Clark, Brian Patrick; Johns, Rachael Allison; Hutcherson, Kim I; Sommers, Jessica; Blankenship, Kristen Elise; Adamczyk, Jan, Huck, Karen Michelle; Gottschalk, George E; Laskowski, John D; MacGregor, Jake; Schlaack, William Alan; Self-Ballard, Michelle Jean; Braxton, Susan Mae; Murphy, Heather; Wilson, Leon Donald.

 

 

  1. Introduction to inclusion of LCAP/LSSC in future meetings – Dean Wilkin opened the meeting by asking David Ward to talk to the assembled group about the reason for the invitation to LCAP and LSSC to attend EC.

 

David Ward welcomed everyone and mentioned that this is a step in a process that EC has       started over the summer to think about how decision making happens in the Library and ways we can broaden input. EC wanted to ensure the full memberships of both groups were invited so that we could clearly communicate EC’s intensions and goals. One of the ways of doing this is by hosting combined meetings with representatives of both LSSC and LCAP. Also, EC is also continuing to look at collaborative Library wide meetings as ways to seek broader input. In addition to the meetings in EC; we are looking at the Committee’s charge as well as the charge of the Library Administrative Council (AC) and other ways EC can bring discussions of critical issues with library wide impact to as many people as possible early in the decision making process.

 

Dean Wilkin concluded by informing everyone that we’re going to figure out how to broaden this engagement over time. Please expect invitations going out to representatives from LSSC and LCAP. Dean Wilkin asked if there were any questions from LSSC/LCAP; there were no questions.

 

  1. Budget reduction priorities – (LSSC and LCAP was included in this discussion). Dean Wilkin discussed the budget and he explained that there will be significant ramifications from COVID-19 related to the university’s budget. This is in part because there will be significant increased costs but also because, in part, we know that there will be reduced revenue. Some students who have been offered admission and accepted may defer, but there is not a definite number of how many. COVID-19 has also had an impact on international students. Because of these things, we’re expecting a decline in our revenue and available resources to run the University and thus budget reductions. The Provost Office recently asked us to model 5%, 7%, and 10% reductions in the allocations to our budget. They also asked other centrally funded units to model those reductions. In the instructions, they made it clear that they were exempting some things from the process, including library collection support. Dean Wilkin opened up the floor to allow questions. There were no questions.

 

Dean Wilkin briefed the group on the open/pending library positions. There was a lot of work to prepare to know exactly what the Library could do to meet these targets for these positions. Dean Wilkin has been working very closely with Susan Edwards and Skye Arseneau. They have worked to determine the amount of available funds, including what is unencumbered, as well as commitments to previously approved or recently opened positions. We will avoid furloughs and layoffs and make sure that we prioritize positions to determine what our priority is. EC and Budget Group are important for assessing priority.

 

Dean Wilkin thanked LSSC and LCAP for joining EC today and looks forward to more discussions. LSSC and LCAP were dismissed at 2:00 pm. EC then continued on with the agenda.

 

Dean Wilkin welcomed the newest members to EC: Dan Tracy, Kelli Trei, Peg Burnette, and Mary Laskowski.

 

EC suggested coming up with topics for discussion in advance from LSSC and LCAP to add to the EC agenda for meetings.

 

  1. Minutes of the August 10, 2020 EC minutes meeting were approved upon the motion by Mara Thacker and seconded by Jennifer Teper.

 

  1. New EC Officers – EC elected new Officers effective 8/16/2020:

Vice Chair – William Maher will replace David Ward.

Secretary – Dan Tracy will replace Jennifer Teper.

Liaison for Search Committees – Kelli Trei will replace Paula Carns.

 

  1. Question Time – Dean Wilkin had nothing to report and there were no questions from EC members.

 

  1. Strategic Funding OER Spring/extension – EC approved the extension for the Strategic Funding for Sara Benson’s OER project for 8 months. The extension request was due to COVID-19 complications.

 

  1. Special Collections facility project subgroups/charge – EC approved the Special Collections project subgroup charges and proposed chairs upon the motion by David Ward and second by Mary Laskowski.

 

  1. Recommendations from ad hoc DEIA Group – EC discussed and agreed on a strategy. EC liked the overall thrust of the request to establish a task force but would like for them to refine the charge and timeline, and consider the membership in light of that charge. Maher will reach out to Skye Arseneau, Jessica Ballard, Cindy Ingold, Jake MacGregor, and Heather Murphy to inform them of the recommendations from EC.

 

  1. Draft request to formalize Wellness Subcommittee – EC agreed to convert the Wellness Subcommittee into a Committee on its own and will ask that the Organization and Development Training Advisory Committee to put together a charge and proposed membership. It was suggested that they rework the document that was presented to EC.