Time and Location of Meeting
August 23, 20211:30 pm - 3:00 pm
August 23, 2021
- Approve minutes – August 9, 2021
- Question Time
- Appointments of EC Vice-Chair, Secretary, Search Liaison, and Representative to Faculty Meeting Agenda Committee
- 2-2:30 Co-chairs/Chairs of LSSC and LCAP
- AUL for User Services
- 5-Year Unit Head Revised Procedure Feedback
- Slavic Reference Specialist Position Description
- STEM Entrepreneurship and Business Librarian
- 5-year Review Committee Selection
- Strategic Funding Grant Use of Remaining Funds
- Innovation Report
August 23, 2021
Zoom Conference Call
EC Attendees: John Wilkin (Chair); William Maher (Vice-Chair); Dan Tracy (Secretary); Mara Thacker, Kelli Trei, Chris Wiley, Joe Lenkart, and Peg Burnette. Lucretia Williams, Recording
Invited Attendees: LSSC/LCAP Chairs and Co-Chairs: Rachel Johns, John Laskowski, and Jake MacGregor. AULs/Directors: Chris Prom, Tom Teper, David Ward, and Sara Holder.
- Minutes – The August 9, 2021 EC meeting minutes were approved with minor corrections upon the motion by Mara Thacker and second by Kelli Trei.
- Question Time – Dean Wilkin updated EC on the following:
- Dean Wilkin welcomed Joe Lenkart and Chris Wiley to EC. He also thanked Jennifer Teper and David Ward for the great job they did serving as EC Reps.
- Dean Wilkin followed up with the Provost Office about the timetable for the academic program review. The library will receive a letter to confirm the spring 2022 timing.
- LCAP had some questions about the 5-year Unit Head Review when Dean Wilkin met with them. They are happy with the recommendations and process but wonder whether LCAP itself has the capacity to be the representative on all the reviews, and whether we would be open to LCAP making recommendations on academic professionals whether or not they’re on LCAP serving in the review role. This will also be discussed further in the agenda when LCAP and LSSC are present.
- Topics of discussion for the next Tenured Faculty meeting will be discussed at a future EC meeting. This is usually scheduled in the fall around October/November.
- Appointments of EC Vice-Chair, Secretary, Search Liaison, and Representative to Faculty Meeting Agenda Committee – Lucretia Williams will update the website accordingly.
- Mara Thacker will serve as the new EC Vice-Chair replacing Bill Maher.
- Dan Tracy will continue as EC Secretary for a 2nd
- Peg Burnette will be the Representative to Faculty Meeting Agenda Committee.
- Kelli Trei will continue as the Search Liaison.
- 2-2:55 Co-chairs/Chairs of LSSC and LCAP –
- AUL for User Services – The discussion opened with Dean Wilkin thanking the Directors for their great work. The Directors are now one year into their roles and the Dean is beginning the process to get feedback from EC, LSSC, and LCAP on their assessment of the first year of this process and the various perspectives. He also emphasized the importance of the AULs and Directors to be included in this conversation because they have a lot of good perspective about the work that needs to be done, the load, and the distribution of responsibilities. The sense of the discussion was that the three Directors (David Ward, Mary Laskowski, and Sara Holder) were extremely accessible, extremely communicative, and have done great jobs. The discussion focused on preventing burnout, focusing job roles (not asking someone to do two jobs at once), merits of internal vs. external searches, and the library culture and how these positions might engage and advance the work of the library.
- 5-Year Unit Head Revised Procedure Feedback – EC members have put together some recommendations for changes that add methods of documentation to the process that make it more consistent with Provost Communication #26. This discussion will continue the next time LSSC and LCAP representatives join EC.
- Slavic Reference Specialist Position Description– EC approved the Slavic Reference Specialist Position Description. Lucretia will contact Kit Condill and Aneitre Johnson to move forward with the process and give them a final copy of the position description.
- STEM Entrepreneurship and Business Librarian – The STEM Entrepreneurship and Business Librarian position is eager to move forward. Sara Holder will work with Bill Mischo on language around continuing responsibilities. Dean Wilkin asked for support for turning this effort over to Sara and she will work with Bill to give us a revised description for consideration, and EC agreed with this approach.
- 5-year Review Committee selection – Tabled. This will be discussed at a future EC meeting.
- Strategic Funding Grant Use of Remaining funds – This will be discussed at a future EC meeting.
- Innovation Report – This will be discussed at a future EC meeting.
Meeting adjourned at 3:10 PM.