Time and Location of Meeting
August 17, 20201:30 pm - 2:30 pm Zoom Meeting
Advisory Council Meeting – agenda for Monday August 17th
- Outreach and Engagement Task force – full report – review and discussion (all)
August 17, 2020
1:30 pm – 2:30 pm
Attendees: John Wilkin, Mary Laskowski, Kelli Trei, Kim Hutcherson, Mara Thacker, Paula Carns, Tracy Tolliver, Tom Teper, Sara Holder, Joanne Kaczmarek, Chris Prom, David Ward, Carissa Phillips, Tim Cole, and Tim Newman; Lucretia Williams: Recorder.
- Outreach and Engagement Task Force – Mara Thacker opened up the AC meeting informing everyone that EC recently approved a report by submitted the Outreach and Engagement Task Force which called for the formation of a standing Outreach and Engagement Committee. (The full report is attached below), “The OEC charge would include ongoing tasks to support the development of a culture of engagement and outreach across the Library. The charge may include the following:
- Develop clear definitions of outreach and engagement to be adopted by the Library in order to better assess individual and collective efforts in these areas
- Promote intentional implementation of activities that balance outreach and engagement goals and in particular increase engagement outputs in order to fulfill a land grant mission
- Provide leadership about best practices in outreach and engagement and communicate these to the Library
- Manage a library-funded grant program to allocate funds for outreach and engagement activities
- Provide support and information resources for outreach and engagement activities such as training opportunities, and a central hub for information about relevant policies and best practices in outreach and engagement
- Facilitate regular assessment of outreach and engagement activities in the Library
The OEC should be composed of individuals (including faculty, academic professionals, and civil service staff) from each Library Division whose members are actively involved in outreach and engagement activities. Additional members may be appointed to represent special concerns. Members are appointed by EC and serve three-year staggered terms with possible reappointment for an additional term. The chair will be a rotating position, elected by the committee itself and serve a two-year term, with the possibility of reelection for one additional two-year term.
Minutes of the OEC will be posted to the committee page on the Library’s website. The OEC will also communicate and consult in other ways deemed appropriate.”
AC asked for clarification regarding the membership representatives. Should it be only one individual regardless of classification from each division already involved in outreach and engagement activities or can it also be someone interested in getting more involved? Also, if the charge of the OEC includes defining outreach and engagement, how do we determine in advance of the formation of those definitions which individuals will be most helpful as members of the committee? If more than one person within a Division is interested in participating, how do we determine who is best to participate?
EC and the Dean will determine the final membership of the Committee and there is room for additional persons to participate that can be added to the membership beyond the Division representatives.
Tracy Tolliver updated AC on the Safer Illinois app. There is an email message being drafted that will be going out soon. The campus has put a Safer Illinois App and available in itunes, ILS, App Stores, and Google Play Android Store. Updates to the apps will go out weekly as they continue to develop it. Tim Newman did explain that the Safer Illinois app is a stand-alone application that is not linked directly to your i-Card for granting/denying access to the building. Dean Wilkin reiterated to everyone returning to campus to get COVID tested twice a week at the various testing sites.
Tracy Tolliver informed AC on a message that will be going out regarding changes happening to Zoom. Some action may be required by Zoom host when scheduling meetings. Effective August 19, 2020 passwords will be required for all meetings. There will also be changes to recording Zoom meetings.
- There were no other items of discussion.
Meeting adjourned 2:30 pm