August 12, 2014 Meeting of University Library Exhibitions Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

August 12, 20143:30 pm

Agenda Details


Agenda not yet available.

Minutes Details


Miriam Centeno, Pat Miller, Jody Waitzman (Chair)



  • Anna Chen (RBML) has joined the committee, is now on the excom email address and should have access to the committee’s folder on the G drive
  • Anna will join us for the September meeting; can discuss what role she’d like to play in the committee (we just lost Lucy, who managed publicity and recruitment of exhibitors)

1. Jody: web calendar; budget mgmt. and ordering;promotion/outreach until we get a new member  

  • Update on status of committee charge
    • Draft attached with proposed edits in red
    • Jody will forward proposed edits to Jennifer Teper for review by EC
  • Budget updates
    • Dean Wilkin has allotted an additional $2500/year to help the committee support exhibits in the departmental libraries
    • We agreed to increase the maximum funding per exhibit to $200 in light of printing costs
    • To keep tabs on said printing costs, Jody will start having exhibitors upload any printing jobs to Box and will get a quote from Printing Services before approving the jobs (added benefit of making these images more easily available for Miriam to upload to our website)
    • Miriam will draft a survey to send out on LibNews to collect information on departmental library exhibit spaces and supply needs; we can determine our budget based on that information
  • Library Research Showcase in Marshall Gallery November 12th
    • Facilities will need to shift the cases to make space. Scott Schwartz (curator of Nov exhibit) is aware of this and will not include anything fragile in the exhibit; will also be on hand when the cases are moved, as will Miriam on behalf of the committee
  • RBML/Advancement event celebrating 14 millionth volume on November 8th
    • Will only be using cases from the NS corridor
    • October exhibit will stay up through first week of November
    • November exhibit will be installed after the cases are returned

 2. Cher: contact with exhibitors for install/deinstall; preparation of materials for exhibit

3. Pat: Graduate Student Competition

  • Information on the upcoming grad student contest will be sent out to LibNews on October 1, 2014; submissions will be accepted from October 13-31; we will discuss at our November meeting and announce winners on November 14, 2014
  • Pat will work on editing the flyer and possible the PowerPoint slide used for digital signage; flyer in particular is way too word-heavy and needs to be cleaned up


4. Miriam: website; facilities

  • Miriam has started to post info and photos of current exhibits on our homepage
  • Will at some point create a “past exhibits” page for photos and descriptions
  • Supply cabinet will be moved to room 412A (storage space that DCC is sharing with us) on Monday, 8/17. Jody will be helping with the move.

5. Schedule

  • The following exhibit times are available between now and August 2015:
    • January 2015, Marshall
    • February 2015, NS Corridor
    • May 2015, Marshall
    • June 2015, Marshall
    • August 2015, Marshall
    • August 2015, NS Corridor