August 10, 2020 Meeting of Executive Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

August 10, 20201:30 pm - 3:00 pm Zoom Meeting

Agenda Details




August 10, 2020


Zoom Meeting


  1. Approve minutes – August 3
  2. Question Time
  3. Recommendation for emerita status

2-2:30pm – AULs

Minutes Details




August 10, 2020

1:30-2:30 pm

Zoom Conference Call


Attendees: John Wilkin (Chair); David Ward (Vice-Chair); Paula Carns; Jennifer Teper; Mara Thacker; and Lynne Thomas. Lucretia Williams; Recording


AULs present: Tom Teper and Cherié Weible.


  1. Minutes of the July 6, 2020 EC minutes meeting were approved upon the motion by David Ward and second by Lynne Thomas.


  1. Question time – Dean Wilkin reminded EC that the next Library Virtual Hangout will be on August 18, 2020 and this will be the first of what is planned on a regular monthly basis in parallel with the Faculty meetings. This doesn’t replace faculty meetings. We will try to foster more robust information sharing and dialogue. Chris Prom has been asked to coordinate a thorough presentation on the Fall return to work plans. Skye Arseneau has been asked to review the HR decisions that have been made and approved by the Chancellor. However, Dean Wilkin stressed the importance for open time for questions and discussion – not just presentations.

Dean Wilkin also encouraged EC to download the Safer Illinois App.


Dean Wilkin is continuing to coordinate our efforts with the Provost in regards to questions about the Library’s Electronic-First strategy. This is a responsible, safe, and manageable strategy. We will continue to keep people safe.


Dean Wilkin thanked Paula Carns and Lynne Thomas for their terms on EC, which will end August 15, 2020. They have both been very valuable on EC and were appreciated for the hard work they have done.



  1. Recommendation for Emerita status – EC recommended approval to the Dean, for his final action.


  1. AUL updates


Tom Teper

  • CAPT
    • As the Alma migration is winding down, Michael Norman approached CAPT with a proposal to disband the current ILS Migration WG (which has a rather large membership) and to replace it with a slightly narrower Alma Squad – an ILS Systems Management Team, in essence. The group would continue reporting to CAPT and provide oversight for Alma and Primo VE systems. As much as anything, it is an operational group with a membership based on functional roles. CAPT agreed that this direction was good and endorsed the change. I will attach a copy of the materials from Michael for inclusion in the minutes, etc….
    • Likewise, the E-resources Working Group (ERWG) recommended drawing down its membership slightly. We added a couple members for the Alma migration, but now that the bulk of that work is done, they believe they can scale down their membership, removing Chad Lewis and George Gottshalk. Jay Heldreth and Kelli Trei have agreed to continue for the next year, in order to round out a membership that includes Wendy Shelburne, Stephanie Baker, and Willy Kries.


  • FY21 Collections
    • We are operating as if we have 100% inflation coverage at this point. Chad and Dustin entered figures into Alma.
    • It was suggested that ACS should hold an ebook forum in the near future. Wendy and George are starting on that.
    • During a CDC discussion last week, there was uniform objection from divisional representatives toward our centrally supporting a cooperative license for Swank. This is pertinent to our Media Fulfillment work, but based on that feedback, we adjusted some workflows in order to continue looking at Swank as a service that we would refer departments and programs to in order to license feature films for classroom usage.


  • E-Resources Search/Cataloging Coordinator Searches
    • The E-Resources position was posted and closes on August 21st. We started recruiting very quickly, and I continue meeting with prospective candidates (one this afternoon, for instance). As of noon today, we received forty-nine completed applications.
    • The Cataloging Coordinator search requires some revisions. I met with Skye and MJ recently to revise the position description.


  • Library Building Project
    • We have kicked off work with JLK on some revised renderings for the building project. The end result will be two renderings of the new construction in the Main Library Building and one rendering of the completed Undergraduate Library Renovation. This rendering will be of the reading room space once both phases of that building’s work are completed.
    • The WG for the Special Collections has a revised charge and subgroup membership to share with EC. I will share that with Lucretia in order to kick off any discussions on that topic.
    • I met just this AM with David, Mary, and Sara to discuss the next iteration of the Main Library WG. We are going to propose a model more in parallel to that used with the special collections. A core group and several smaller subgroups will seek to focus on the immediate consolidation planning necessary to move Undergrad into the Main Library by April of 2022. There will, of course, be longer term interest in what happens when RBML and University Archives move out as well as the eventual renovation of the Main Library, but our discussion focused on the more immediate future.
    • Website… Structural revisions complete. Text to be revised in the coming weeks. Looking forward to receiving the renderings mentioned above in order to incorporate those into the site.


  • Scholarly Communications and Publishing
    • Dan and I kick off meetings together later this week.



Cherié Weible

  • Continuation of planning for staffing for fall semester for the locker delivery system.
  • Update on e-first strategy and inclusion of digitization for media content.
  • Answered questions regarding Alma and Archives/Oak Street.