Time and Location of Meeting
April 6, 202110:00 am - 11:00 am Virtual Meeting
Mortenson Center Advisory Committee Meeting
Tuesday, April 6, 2021; 10:00-11:00 am
- Welcome and Introductions
- Approval of November 13, 2020 minutes
- Reports and Updates
- IMLS Grant to Develop the IDEA Institute on Artificial Intelligence <website> – update
- Post-Grant Project Welcome https://publish.illinois.edu/projectwelcome/
- Panelist at 2021 American Library Association Virtual Conference on Celebrating Welcoming Week: A Guide for Libraries, 2020.
- World Refugee Day (June 20) webinar and Welcoming Week event – planning for this year
- Professional Development Programs
- 2021 Associates Program (Smart and Smarter: Leadership and Innovation in Libraries, May 26-June 22, 2021) – Postponed
- Spring 2021 Minitalks on CLIA Iberbibliotecas (in Spanish)
- University of Pretoria – due to curricular change, discontinued teaching international librarianship in MIT Program
- Naseej Academy – co-sponsoring “From Practitioner to Author: Opportunities for Journal Publishing in “Library Trends” and Beyond” Webinar (April 7, 2021; 11:30-1:00) https://www.facebook.com/events/3443610739077874/
- Partners in Literacy Haiti (Sara Mansbach) – supporting development and capacity building to promote literacy in community libraries. Initiated a Haiti Library and Stakeholders Group.
- International and Areas Studies Library – co-sponsoring 2020-21 Chai Wai Series: Race, Social Justice, and Ways of Knowing
- NEW > UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning Library – collaborating on developing training for non-librarians to create community libraries/information resource centers and re-energizing ALADIN (Adult Learning Documentation and Information Network)
- Recent and upcoming virtual presentations/workshops – see https://www.library.illinois.edu/mortenson/, ARL Spring meeting, April 28-29, 2021.
- Mortenson Center Initiatives
- Libraries for Peace http://librariesforpeace.org/ – Libraries for Peace Day 2021, September 21: Theme TBA | A Decade of Action on the UN SDGs – in development
- “Engineering Change with Dr. Agnes Kaposi: Otherness, Exclusion, Propaganda, Dislocation” Program. Date and Time TBD. Agnes Kaposi is author of Yellow Star-Red Star (i2i Publishing, Manchester, 2020), an autobiography written with an historian, Dr Laszlo Csosz.
- Community-Library Inter-Action (CLIA) http://librariesforpeace.org/clia – new website under development | Minitalks on CLIA Iberbibliotecas (in Spanish) | CLIA Colombia Universidades – partnership with the Universidad de Bogotá Jorge Tadeo Lozano Library
- 31st Annual Mortenson Distinguished Lecture https://www.library.illinois.edu/mortenson/lectures/. BBC World Affairs Correspondent, Presenter and Author Mike Thomson, author Syria’s Secret Library: Reading and Redemption in a Town Under Siege (Public Affairs 2019). Date and topic TBA
- 30th Anniversary Celebration (2021) – Leading change forum, Associates highlights, Engineering Change program and Mortenson Lecture.
- Other: IFLA Building Strong LIS Education (BSLISE) Working Group https://bslise.org/ – have developed map and directory of LIS education programs worldwide, and draft IFLA Guidelines for Professional Library and Information Science (LIS) Education Programmes. Contribute feedback at: http://go.illinois.edu/LISEsurvey
- Thank you. Committee members completing term of service. Committee Volunteer form (due: May 15th) https://www.library.illinois.edu/staff/
- Dara Goldman (Aug 2019 – Aug 2021)
- Qiang Jin (Aug 2019 – Aug 2021)*
- Emily Joyce Knox (Aug 2019 – Aug 2021)
- Matthew Roberts (Aug 2019 – Aug 2021)
- William Schlaack (Aug 2019 – Aug 2021)*
November 13, 2020 Meeting Minutes
Mortenson Center Advisory Committee Charge and Membership
The Advisory Committee advises the Director on center policy and procedures.
The Committee of nine Faculty members, at least half of whom are drawn from the Library faculty, are appointed to the Mortenson Advisory Committee by the University Librarian, in consultation with the Executive Committee, and on the recommendation of the Director of the Mortenson Center. The appointed members serve two-year staggered terms and may be reappointed to successive terms, not to exceed four years.
* = Second Consecutive Term
Clara M. Chu, Chair
Yali Feng (Aug 2020 – Aug 2022)
Robert Geraci (Aug 2020 – Aug 2022)
Dara Goldman (Aug 2019 – Aug 2021)
Lisa Hinchliffe (Aug 2020 – Aug 2022)
Qiang Jin (Aug 2019 – Aug 2021)*
Emily Joyce Knox (Aug 2019 – Aug 2021)
Matthew Roberts (Aug 2019 – Aug 2021)
Ken E. Salo (Aug 2020 – Aug 2022)
William Schlaack (Aug 2019 – Aug 2021)*
Mara Thacker (Aug 2020 – Aug 2022)*
Minutes not yet available.