Time and Location of Meeting
April 27, 20201:30 pm - 3:00 pm Zoom Meeting
April 27, 2020
- Approve minutes – April 13
- Question Time
- IDHH Visiting Metadata Specialist
- External Reviewer Discussion
- AUL for User Services position
- Appoint PRC
April 27, 2020
Zoom Conference Call
Attendees: John Wilkin (Chair); David Ward (Vice-Chair); Paula Carns; William Maher; William Mischo; Mara Thacker; Jennifer Teper (Secretary); and Lynne Thomas. Lucretia Williams, Recording
- Minutes of the April 6, 2020 EC meeting were tabled for additional edits. April 13, 2020 EC minutes meeting were approved upon the motion by David Ward and second by Lynne Thomas.
- Question Time –
- Dean Wilkin reported that the Library’s building project went before the April 23rd meeting of the Chancellor’s Capital Review Committee, a committee responsible for reviewing and approving proposals for capital projects for the University. The project received unanimous support for moving forward with a first phase. More details will be available toward the end of the semester.
- The Dean also discussed the implications of financial constraints announced recently in a DDDH-L email. As noted in that email, the 10% reduction figure is for planning purposes only, and the University is “not implementing these budget directives at this time.” Moreover, the email notes that any reductions that are ultimately taken will be “strategic” and that the University will “not apply uniform reductions across all units.” Nevertheless, at this time, no spending (including hiring) may take place in ways that would limit a unit’s ability to take a 10% reduction. The Dean is working with Susan Edwards to determine the implications of this policy and the degree of flexibility the Library has for hiring in the immediate future.
- Dean Wilkin asked Bill Mischo to discuss the recently signed “Read & Publish” agreement with IEEE, which marks a significant step in exploring new models of publishing and licensing. Mischo discussed the terms of the agreement, which will result in all UIUC and UIC research in IEEE publications being open access. Mischo also noted the financial significant contributions to the new agreement from The College of Engineering, the UIUC & UIC Library, and from the Provost.
- IDHH Visiting Metadata Specialist – EC discussed a replacement for the IDHH Visiting Metadata Specialist position, which is funded by an external grant funds. EC is comfortable with the Library pursuing a search waiver with campus.
- External Reviewer Discussion – Lucretia Williams informed EC of an external reviewer who is unable to write a letter for a Library untenured faculty. EC made a new external reviewer recommendation and Lucretia and David Ward will work together and reach out to the potential reviewer and report back to EC.
- AUL for User Services Position – John Wilkin informed EC that to date there are no applicants for the AUL for User Services position. The Dean reiterated his commitment to a model where AULs are appointed from internal searches with administrative appointments. However, without a viable internal candidate, it may be necessary to launch a national search. EC expressed some reservations with a national search right now. Cherié Weible’s appointment ends August 2020 so, in any case, a bridge strategy is necessary. Dean Wilkin will initiate discussions about possible options and will engage EC with a proposed approach.
- Appoint PRC – EC suggested two PRC members for an untenured faculty. Lucretia Williams will reach out to the two suggested EC PRC members and then report back to EC on their responses.