April 22, 2021 Meeting of Library Staff Support Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

April 22, 2021

Agenda Details


LSSC Meeting Agenda 04-22-21

  1. Approve March Minutes
  2. Liaison & Committee Reports
  1. LCAP Memorandum document – feedback and questions
  2. C. meeting (03-22-21)
    1. Draft Ideas for Inclusion – shared document, comments/questions
    2. Plans/ideas for Monday, Mar 26, 2021, 2pm
      1. Shared topics for EC:
        1. Future conference attendance support for LSSC scholarships
        2. Identify Administrative representative to serve as a direct line of communication for LSSC per our bylaws
      2. Conference CSE support
        1. Reaching Forward South passed, alternative options / ALA progress (advanced rates deadline is 4/30)
        2. Contact in Business office to help register awardees
          1. Erik emailed
  • Working group volunteers to help with logistics (for next year?)
  1. Conference awardees from last year for virtual ALA June 23-29th
    1. awardee Jennifer Vargo Hauser confirmed for this year
    2. one scholarship from last year available, with BHRS approval LSSC might be able to send out a call to fill this seat with a late call for applicants – emails are in progress
  • Drop-in hours for LSSC
    1. send invite for these & schedule
  • Other Comments and Updates
    1. Interim LSSC liaison opening for Tech Division open seat, ends June 2021
    2. LSSC Comment form responses for AUL & Director feedback – shared
    3. DEIA survey – email of participation support sent out via libnews
    4. Other Comments and Updates

Minutes Details


Kim Hutcherson (Administration)
Jan Adamczyk (Area Studies)
Karen Huck (Arts & Humanities)
Kristen Blankenship (Central Public Services)
Michelle Self-Ballard (Central Public Services)
Jessica Sommers (Law)
Erik Chapman (Life Sciences)
Bernadette Braun (Physical Sciences)
Julia Cross (Residential Hall Libraries)
Tony Hynes (Special Collections)
Rachael Johns (Technical Services)


Minutes for April 22, 2021 meeting

Approved March Minutes: Approved with minimal corrections.


Liaison Reports and Updates:

Administration: No updates


Administrative Council:  discussed policy on altering potentially harmful language in catalog metadata brought to AC by the Cataloging and Metadata Working Group.

  • for the Library of Congress Subject Heading (LCSH) Aliens and Illegal Aliens to “Noncitizens” and “Undocumented immigrants” as alternative subjects. Unfortunately, the House of Representatives objected to the change and ordered LC to continue using the terms.
  • Many libraries decided to change or find ways not to use those terms in catalog records or display those terms in their public display.
  • Result: Work toward better representation  John – 1. Broaden the discussion not to slow things down, but to get everyone’s perspective; 2.  process that is responsive and inclusive going forward.
  • Working on who presents this as our first step in the right direction and get a statement out.
  • Summary: No objections to move forward.    Hangout  2. Forum  3. Next steps
  • Suggestion to open up at Faculty meeting and Hangouts
  • Discussion on what it might look like in the catalog (add lines to records until LC actually makes the change to subject heading) – will work with metadata working group and CAPT, but this represents a broader perspective.
  • Summary: No objections to move forward.    Hangout  2. Forum  3. Next steps

Area Studies:  Did not meet.

Arts & Humanities:  Guest:  Michelle Reed, Head of Scholarly Commons. Discussing the re-opening. LLL will probably be closed for summer I and open during summer II and limited hours in the fall.  Informed that the budget for students will be same as last year.  Outreach and Engagement committee to start their grant proposal term.  Karen Huck hosting a reading group on April 27th 2-3.  Questions will be based on specific articles.

Central Public Services:  Did not meet.

Central Access Service: Standard locker delivery, getting ready for potential resumption of services

UGL:  Still open for study spaces; summer II pick up location for other library material;  offering reserves during summer II; looking toward fall and spring with lots of unknowns and planning.

Law:  Two employees announced their retirement; study spaces open Thursdays and Fridays.

Life Sciences:  Potential reopening plans, ACES may have some open hours in the summer; possible place for material pick up with some type of hours in the fall.

Physical Sciences:   Did not meet.

Math: Went over document for phase 5 fall, WSA’s in the building?  If not, limit hours that Math will be open. Michelle’s comment reminded me –

Grainger:  Summer hours will be the same as the Spring.  Also, will probably start offering reserves sometime this summer.

Residence Hall:  Starting May 15 through summer we will be closed to public; no summer camps.  Discussing potential reopening plans, fall open as usual with current staffing.  Excited to be a pick up location in the Fall.

Special Collections: Discussions on quad day and what it might look like; discussed Library of Congress alternative subject headings. Talked about online exhibits; talked about what the fall will look like: comfort levels.

Technical Services:  Discussed policies regarding re-opening plans, expectations for remote options, turning ETAS after spring semester for circulating units to ease in, will still offer digital options.   A lot of questions regarding remote work and tier 5 changes, options in case state changes.  Guest, Chris Prom talked about print requests and staffing questions.


Agenda Items:

Upcoming LSSC elections in May

  • Kristen and Erik can help with the email based on the LSSC guidelines; can invite people to come to meeting to see if they are interested

LCAP Memorandum document – feedback and questions

  • sounds reasonable,
  • LCAP and Skye Arseneau can attend a future LSSC meeting to look into this further.

Conference CSE support

  • Eric has been corresponding with BHRSC- asking if LSSC thought about asking EC for CSE to having own budget per year moving forward in order to focus on planning instead of funding. The approval to identify a second person to go to ALA has been accepted.  Suggestions:  Since Reaching Forward South conference  has already happened this year, contact the five people that were interested in that one to see if one of them would want to attend ALA. See if the third person who applied for ALA would like to attend.
  • Conference awardees from last year for virtual ALA June 23-29th
  • Awardee Jennifer Vargo Hauser confirmed for this year
  • One scholarship from last year available, with BHRS approval LSSC might be able to send out a call to fill this seat with a late call for applicants – emails are in progress

Other Comments and Updates

  • According to bylaws: Members are required to attend Divisional meetings and LSSC meetings and are encouraged to send substitutes when they cannot attend. Members are encouraged to hold divisional staff meetings at least once a year and correspond with divisional staff in the best way they see fit throughout the rest of the year. Suggestion was that in addition to attending divisional monthly meetings,  LSSC sends email to their divisions once a year.
  • LSSC Comment Form: Comment about various trainings pulling legal name field in Banner instead of the preferred name and if anything can be done to stop this from happening.
    • Michael Norman and Cherie’ Weible are the contacts for Alma/Primo.  There is a hotline list, and this question has been brought up.  Michael was looking into it. There is also a problem with hyphenated names.  We will have an update on the progress by next meeting.
    • Library HR – unable to do anything about the campus training.
    • Ethics Office – has begun to do this, starting with the most recent Preventing Harassment and Discrimination training and plan to update the ethics training this fall.
    • Cybersecurity Training – Technology Services aren’t planning to run the full report and upload the data again for another six weeks or so. You may contact Kim Hutcherson khutcher@illinois.edu with your NetID and Preferred Name.  Kim will contact Tech Services and they will update the name directly in the training system.




Next LSSC Zoom Meeting: May 27, 2021