April 22, 2015 Meeting of Executive Committee

Time and Location of Meeting

April 22, 20159:00 am - 10:30 am 428 Main Library

Agenda Details

Agenda

1.                  9:00-9:40am – Strategic Plan – AULs, Lisa Hinchliffe
 
2.                  9:40-10:00 AULs

a.      Budget Process and how it works with the Strategic Plan – how can it better align to the budget
b.      Regular update on the budget and the AULs prioritization
c.      What is going on with each AUL, how are things aligning with the new organizational structure? (Sue’s report would include any NSM update), (Tom’s report would include the hiring update)
 
3.                  Approve Minutes from April 16
 
4.                  Question Time
 
5.                  PRC for faculty member

Minutes Details

Attendees

John Wilkin, chair; Kirstin Dougan, vice-chair; JoAnn Jacoby, secretary, Lori Mestre, Bill Mischo, Lynne Rudasill, Jennifer Teper, Sarah Williams; Visitors – Lisa Hinchliffe, Beth Namachchivaya, Tom Teper

Minutes

1.                  9:00-9:40am – Strategic Plan (SP) – AULs, Lisa Hinchliffe
Lisa gave an update regarding what the steering team has been doing. She also reminded everyone to check out the blog for future updates. (http://publish.illinois.edu/librarystrategicplanning/2015/03/23/whats-next-following-from-the-library-retreat/) The timeframe John has recommended is a 3-5 year plan with a 30 year horizon.

The Chancellor announced that the campus will be creating a new strategic plan. We will realign our process as needed, to reflect the changes in the campus’ strategic plan. The SP steering team has met with John, John’s Cabinet, EC, LSSC, the University Librarian’s Student Advisory Council, and the Senate Committee on the Library. They have also had sessions to talk about the current campus SP.

They will be kicking-off a series of Deep Dive sessions to look at specific areas. Each AUL will be involved with helping to shape at least one of the sessions. The first session is May 1 and the topic is teaching and learning. Chuck Tucker, Associate VP for Learning and Innovation will be at the session to discuss the campus’ goal of teaching and learning in an integrative way.

On June 16, the Deep Dive session will be about research and scholarship. George Chako, Director for research and analytics in the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research, will make a presentation about the landscape of research on this campus and national research trends in academics. He will present a perspective from the standpoint of understanding the process of scholarly input.

The third Deep Dive session will be sometime in July and will feature an opportunity to talk about issues related to how we manage and staff our organization and how we work with other libraries and institutions.

Lisa will send additional information out as each of these sessions draw near.

The next step for the SP team is to look at the current campus SP goals (http://strategicplan.illinois.edu/goals.html) and write a 2-3 sentence description of how the Library can meet those goals. The Deep Dive presentations will be recorded and available and the Team will send out written notes from the discussions. They will also host conversations regarding the Deep Dive sessions for people to discuss ideas and for people who are unable to attend the initial session.

Lisa is also asking people to talk to their advisory groups and liaisons or partners about what they think is important for the Library to include in the SP.  There are talking points available to help start these conversations.

2.                  9:40-10:00 AULs
a.      Budget Process and how it works with the Strategic Plan – how can it better align to the budget
John will be sending out a communication regarding the budget, next week. The AULs will be working on a plan and actions needed regarding the possible cuts.

EC determined that a call for positions for the June hiring plan should go out. As John, the AULs and EC work with the budget, it will be good to see where there are needs. It will be made clear, in the call, that none of the positions may be able to be filled.

The Provost has asked for preliminary document from the Deans that would outline three major items that would have to be cut if there was a 5% reduction in the budget.

The next time the AULs meet with EC, John would like a document describing a blue sky future; thinking more dramatically about how the Library does things.

b.      Regular update on the budget and the AULs prioritization

c.       What is going on with each AUL, how are things aligning with the new organizational structure? (Sue’s report would include any NSM update), (Tom’s report would include the hiring update)
Tom will send an update to LON regarding the conversations he’s been having with CAM about ways to support e-resources in the Library.
 
3.                  Approve Minutes from April 16
Minutes were approved with a motion by Sarah Williams, seconded by Lynne Rudasill.
 
4.                  Question Time
A personnel issue was discussed.
 
5.                  PRC for a faculty member

Names were suggested.