Time and Location of Meeting
April 19, 20211:30 pm - 3:00 pm Zoom Meeting
1:30 pm – 3:00 pm
1. Discuss documents from the Cataloging working group
1:30 pm – 2:10 pm
AC Attendees: John Wilkin, Kim Hutcherson, Mary Laskowski, Carissa Phillips, Joanne Kaczmarek, Tracy Tolliver, Sara Holder, Paula Carns, Lisa Romero, Kelli Trei, Tom Teper, and Lucretia Williams, Recording
- Content Access Policy & Technology (CAPT) Cataloging Metadata Working Group (CMWG) Documents For Review
The CAPT CMWG provided two draft documents for feedback from AC. Both documents relate to matters of subject heading terminology found in the catalog. One document suggests specific changes to how the Library modifies the use of subject headings going forward. The other document provides language in a policy format that addresses potentially harmful language in the catalog.
Dean Wilkin urged us to have a broader library-wide discussion about the issues and strategies addressed in these documents, which he endorses. Dean Wilkin believes that a broader discussion is very important for the entire library because we’re all invested in these issues, and we should put in place a review process so that we can consider new recommendations for changes to subject headings on an ongoing basis and act on them in a timely way.
Chris Prom noted the calls for broader consultation makes very good sense. The Diversity Task Force has already seen these documents, commented on them, and supports their intention and suggested direction. One of the points brought up by a member of the task force was the need for a process that is responsive and inclusive, aligning well with Dean Wilkin’s comments.
AC agreed that we should move forward with accepting the recommendations and taking the following steps:
- Have someone present this new process at a Hangout (Tom Teper will coordinate with MJ Han)
- Hold a Library-wide forum to discuss the need and process.
- Share the new practice with broader campus community.
- Put in place an inclusive process for review of new proposed subject heading changes.
Meeting adjourned at 2:10