Library support for undergraduate research
The University Library and the Scholarly Commons work to provide support for undergraduate researchers across all disciplines.
- You may meet with your subject liaison librarian for research support or visit the Scholarly Commons for support with data management/data discovery/data visualization, digital humanities, digitization, geographic information systems (GIS), or statistical consulting.
- You may take a Savvy Researcher workshop in order to fulfill certificate the “Attendance at one (1) campus workshop on undergraduate research OR one (1) professional research presentation” requirement as part of the OUR Research Certificate Program.
- Enter the Image of Research — UR Edition competition – View past winners, 2014-.
- Spring 2019 deadline: April 1, 2019 by 5 pm
Publishing undergraduate research
- Equinox: Equinox is the literary and arts magazine that is exclusive to the Campus Honors Program of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. It was created, organized, and published by Campus Honors Program students. The mission of Equinox is to share the artistic and creative talents of Campus Honors Program members. Its name, borrowed from astronomy, reflects this mission: the vernal and autumnal equinoxes are days of the year when day and night are seen equally. The duality of day and night reflects the balance between academic and artistic achievement among Campus Honors Program scholars.
- The Illini Journal of International Security: The Illini Journal of International Security (IJOIS) is a peer-reviewed undergraduate academic journal that is comprised of exceptional undergraduate and graduate papers on topics related to international security or foreign affairs. IJOIS is published biannually through the Program of Arms Control & Domestic and International Security (ACDIS) and the University Library. IJOIS employs a cross-disciplinary approach and accepts papers from students studying the social sciences, STEM fields, business and the humanities that analyze international security issues from innovative perspectives.
- TRiO McNair Scholars Undergraduate Research Journal: The TRiO McNair Scholars Undergraduate Research Journal is the official publication of the Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. The journal includes abstracts of the students’ final paper and represents combined efforts of students and their research mentors. The views expressed in the papers and abstracts are not intended to represent the views, beliefs, interests, values, or practices of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Journal of Undergraduate Social Work Research: The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign School of Social Work’s annual publication, Journal of Undergraduate Social Work Research (JUSWR), showcases peer-reviewed undergraduate research from social work and related disciplines that contribute to the advancement of social and economic justice.
- i-ACES: i-ACES (inquiry-ACES), by sponsored by the ACES Academy of Teaching Excellence, is a premier undergraduate research journal founded by the Academy of Teaching Excellence in the College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences (ACES) at the University of Illinois aimed to advance undergraduate research.
- Peer Review: The Undergraduate Research Journal of the Ethnography of the University Initiative, sponsored by the Ethnography of the University Initiative. Peer Review is an open-access, digital journal that publishes research-based articles and multimedia projects by current and recent undergraduates who participate in EUI-affiliated courses or students in non-EUI-related courses or programs of study whose research engages the university in a meaningful way. (Note: Currently on hold as the program is undergoing change.)
- Re:Search, The Undergraduate Literary Criticism Journal at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, sponsored by the Department of English. Re:Search: The Undergraduate Literary Criticism Journal at UIUC is an undergraduate produced, peer-reviewed online journal designed to annually publish works exclusively by undergraduate students. It seeks to create a venue for undergraduate students to showcase and publish literary criticism within a greater academic discourse while nurturing a collaborative community between faculty, administration, and undergraduate students.
- Example undergraduate research journals from other institutions
- Undergraduate Research Journals @ UIUC: An Introductory Guide: Your guide to setting up an open access journal using Open Journals Systems (OJS) by the Public Knowledge Project.
- If you are interested in starting a new undergraduate research journal, please work with your faculty mentor and submit a request.
- Benefits of publishing as an undergraduate student — Illinois Office of Undergraduate Research, A Blog
–> An annual image competition celebrated at the Undergraduate Research Symposium
The Image of Research is a multidisciplinary competition celebrating the diversity and breadth of undergraduate student research at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. All undergraduate students are invited to submit entries consisting of an image and brief text that articulates how the image relates to the research. View past winners, 2014-.
Entries will be judged by a multidisciplinary panel for:
- Connection between image, text, and research
- Visual Impact
If you would like to serve as a student judge for the Image of Research — UR Edition competition, please contact Merinda Hensley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Presenting undergraduate research
- How to design a successful research poster – How to print your research poster
- Ethnography of the University Initiative – Posters for the EUI Student Conference
- Conference opportunities for undergraduates
- Attend a Savvy Researcher workshop on a variety of issues including citation management, data management, and much more – view full Savvy Researcher calendar
- Students can attend a library workshop towards completion of the Undergraduate Research Certificate Program
Learn more about undergraduate research at Illinois
- Illinois Office of Undergraduate Research (OUR)
- Undergraduate Research Week at Illinois
- Calendar of undergraduate research events at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign campus
Undergraduate research liaison: Merinda Kaye Hensley, Associate Professor and Digital Scholarship Liaison and Instruction Librarian
Support for undergraduate research programming is organized by the Scholarly Commons of the University Library and the Office of Undergraduate Research and by a generous gift to the Scholarly Commons from the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics.