The Library hosts several repositories for the university community. Repository Services manages the institutional repository IDEALS and coordinates with the other Library-hosted repositories.
IDEALS – Institutional Repository
The Illinois Digital Environment for Access to Learning and Scholarship (IDEALS) is the university’s institutional repository. IDEALS is a service where faculty, academic professionals, staff, graduate students, and other researchers can deposit journal articles, technical reports, survey mechanisms, or other materials related to their scholarly work.
Planning an on-campus conference? IDEALS hosts proceedings for conferences, symposiums, and other scholarly meetings that are in some way affiliated with the University (e.g. a U of I faculty member is part of a planning committee; a conference that’s hosted at UIUC annually, etc.). Please contact us for more information about this service.
- Depositing your work into IDEALS also satisfies the campus’ Open Access Policy.
- Not sure which version of an article your publisher will let you submit to IDEALS? We can help you! Please contact us at email@example.com
Theses and Dissertations
Since 2010, all master’s theses and doctoral dissertations are uploaded to IDEALS after the student has graduated. Efforts are underway to digitize and upload pre-2010 master’s theses and dissertations as well.
- Graduate Dissertations and Theses at Illinois collection: Contains all electronic theses and dissertations (ETDs) from UIUC.
- Current graduate students: Please submit your thesis or dissertation through the Graduate College
- Digitize my thesis or dissertation: If you want to make your work available in IDEALS submit a request via the webform or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
More Library Repositories
- Illinois Data Bank: the University’s institutional data repository, by the Research Data Service. We work together to support links between datasets in the Data Bank and their corresponding publications and materials in IDEALS.
- University of Illinois Archives Database: Similarly, we collaborate to add links between related archival and IDEALS collections.
Related Links, Guides, and Services
- IDEALS: Website for the IDEALS institutional repository.
- IDEALS LibGuide: Provides the basics on how to deposit and access IDEALS materials for individuals and collection administrators.
- IDEALS wiki: Contains current full-text IDEALS policies and in-depth information on how to deposit and manage IDEALS collections for individuals and collection administrators.
- Thesis Office: Coordinates submission, review, and approval of graduate theses and dissertations.
- Digital Collections: Search across all of the Library’s digitized special collections and archives, historic Illinois newspapers, publicly accessible datasets, and scholarship.
- Illinois Digital Newspaper Collections: Search, browse, and download historic Illinois newspapers.
- Copyright Services: Can services for author publishing agreements, fair use, copyright in the classroom, and other copyright topics.