Omeka is a software tool that enables you to create dynamic online exhibits that showcase collections of digital images, text, and other multi-media formats in one seamless site. Omeka was developed by the Roy Rozenweig Center for History and New Media at George Mason University.
There are two versions of Omeka: If you run an independent website on your own server, you can set up a full installation of Omeka on your website and the software is available to download at http://omeka.org/.
But if you’re new to Omeka, we recommend that you use Omeka.net: Here, you can build an Omeka website hosted for free on the Omeka.net servers. A Basic Omeka.net account is FREE and you can enroll at https://www.omeka.net/signup.
The library also has an institutional subscription for Omeka.net: This institutional subscription provides more storage space for your site, as well as additional plug-ins to make your site especially dynamic and interactive. If you’d like to set up an Omeka website using the Library’s Omeka.net subscription, please scroll to the bottom of this page to review the UIUC Library’s Omeka.net use policy. Then click on the provided link to complete the request form and use policy agreement.
- Omeka: A User’s Guide
- Omeka User Guide for Scholars (PDF)
- Visit the Scholarly Commons for help or contact Harriett Green, the English and Digital Humanities Librarian, for assistance in getting started.
Still not sure if Omeka is what you need? Check out these examples of Omeka exhibits:
- Artists, Patrons, and Japanese Art
- Fire Files Digital Library
- Robert & Monnoyer: French Botanical Artists of the 17th Century from Dumbarton Oaks
- The Image of Research: Celebrating Student Research at Illinois
Omeka.net Use Policy
By completing and submitting this request form for an Omeka.net site hosted by the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign Library’s institutional account, you agree to the following:
- Respect the legal protection provided by copyright and license to programs and data.
- Respect the rights of others by complying with all University policies regarding intellectual property.
- Respect the rights of others by complying with all University policies regarding sexual, racial and other forms of harassment, and by preserving the privacy of personal data to which you have access. Users shall take full responsibility for messages that they transmit through the Library’s computers and network facilities.
- These and all other tenets in the UIUC Library’s Electronic Information Policy will be fully enforced. Please review the Electronic Information Policy
- Any Library-hosted Omeka.net site that violates these terms will be deactivated immediately upon notification of the violations.
When completing the form, please submit your University of Illinois email address ( email@example.com), your Omeka.net username, and the desired subdomain for your Omeka website. Then check the box indicating you have read and agree to comply with the above policy and UIUC Library’s Electronic Information Policy.