Assistance with finding and formatting digital numeric and spatial data
This service is a joint project of the University Library and the Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning (CITL) Data Analytics Program and is available to everyone on campus. Services offered include: acquiring data sets needed for teaching and research, locating, downloading, and preparing data for secondary analysis, and identifying and creating course materials and teaching tools (including help finding customized data sets drawn from various data repositories). Contact Carissa Phillips, Data Discovery and Business Librarian, for assistance.
Data Purchase Program
The University Library is soliciting applications from faculty, graduate students, and academic professionals who need to purchase numeric, spatial, or textual data for their research. For more information visit the Data Purchase Program’s webpage.
Access to Data and Online Maps
The links are chosen to be representative of the types of data available. If something you are looking for is not listed, or you want access to files that are not linked, please contact Carissa Phillips at email@example.com
- Numeric Data – A LibGuide of additional data sources
- Residential Property Transactions and Assessments for Chicago and New York City 1997-2010 (DataQuick)
- Residential Property Transactions and Assessments for Selected Counties in the Midwest (DataQuick)
- American Psychological Association elections data (APA)
- Cross-National Time-series Data Archive – on DVD
- Size USA body measurement data (women)
- Genomic data for liver and blood of rats on high-fat diets (sequencing data from Methyl-DNA immunoprecipitation assay (MeDIP) in combination with high-throughput sequencing (HTS) on the whole genome in liver and blood samples of Sprague Dawley Rats on either control diet or high fat diet) available from remc.wustl.edu
- UNIDO Industrial Statistics (INDSTAT4 and INDSTAT 2)
- Statistics of Income by Zip Code (Internal Revenue Service)
- Chicago bankruptcy/mortgage/divorce data
- Data about companies started in university incubators
- Textual Data
- Spatial Data
- Locations of Villages in Himachal Pradesh, India
- PALSAR satellite imagery for northern Wisconsin
- High-resolution satellite imagery of the Bermejo River (Argentina)
- Online Maps (courtesy of the Map Library)
Course-related instruction on finding and using data
Contact the Scholarly Commons to schedule an introduction to geographic or numeric data for your class. There is an instructional lab in the library that has ArcGIS and SPSS installed on fourteen workstations if you do not have this software available in your classroom. For LAS courses, the CITL Data Analytics Program also offers course tutorials incorporating data and software instruction. Please visit the ATLAS-CITL Data Analytics site, which has a link to workshop registration.
The Data Discovery and Support Committee offers workshops on using specific data sets (ICPSR and Roper) as well as an introduction to geographic information systems. These workshops are offered during fall and spring semesters as part of the Savvy Researcher series.