We are standing in the Marshall Gallery and you’ll notice the oil paintings on the walls. These are the past Presidents of the University. The digital signage and exhibit space, located in the middle of the Gallery, are changed out approximately once per month.
The Social Science, Health, and Education Library covers Education, Geography, Political Science, Psychology, Sociology, Asian American Studies, Anthropology, LIS, and Applied Health Sciences. They also hold the Arms Control collection and the largest children’s book collection outside of the Library of Congress.
Just outside the east entrance of the library building, there are two figures. Feel free to walk outside to view these sculptures. These are the daughters of Deucalion and Pyrrha, made in 1933 by Lorado Taft (the same sculptor who created the alma mater). The sons of Deucalion and Pyrrha, companions to the sculptures outside of the library, are located next to Foellinger Hall. In the myth of Deucalion and Pyrrha, they are the only two people left on earth after an epic flood. They are told to cover their heads and throw the bones of their mother behind them. Their mother was understood to be Gaia, goddess of Earth, and her bones were made of rocks. These rocks became the new generation. They may seem forlorn with their bowed heads, but they actually represent rebirth.