About the Media Commons
Hours of Operation
Which part of the Media Commons you would like to use?
Loanable Technology – Equipment is available at the Loanable Technology Desk for walk-up or advance bookings, contingent upon item availability. You can check current open hours and make a booking in advance by visiting the “Loanable Technology” page available here
Video Production Studio – For more information on availability and usage of the Video Production Studio check out the Video Studio page here
Audio Production Studio and Self-Use Booths – The Media Commons Audio Production Studio are currently available as long as the Lower Level of the UGL is open (note: reservations end 45 minutes prior to UGL closing on Friday and Saturday nights. You can request to use the spaces here
Media and Technology Consultations – Consultations are available by appointment. Please fill out the form (consultation form) to schedule an appointment, we should respond within 2 business days.
The Media Commons, is located on the north and east side of the upper level of the Undergraduate Library, is a collaborative campus effort that provides students and faculty opportunities to experiment with digital media creation, with expanded opportunities to learn of best practices in digital media and emerging technology. In addition to a robust loanable technology program, the Media Commons is a service space that offers faculty, students, and users the ability to plan and create digital media. The goal is to meet the need for broad access to digital media creation tools and spaces and receive training in media hardware and software, and instruction in digital media literacy.
The Media Commons opened in 2013 and began as a Partnership between The Library and Technology Services, with support from the Library IT student fee program.
The Media Commons formed in March 2013 to provide faculty, students and staff a space to create digital media projects.
- For faculty and staff, it is a space to discover effective ways to integrate digital media into their curriculum and to demonstrate to their students the equipment and techniques used by professionals.
- For students it is a space to facilitate the creation of both basic and advanced projects and to explore creative ideas.
An important mission of The Media Commons is to help train and educate those affiliated with the University on techniques and best practices for creating and editing video, as well as the basic usage and implementation of production studios.
Media Commons Staff
Eric Kurt: Media Commons Coordinator
Eric is the Coordinator and first employee for the Media Commons. He helped construct the services and spaces within the Media Commons. His main focus is on strategy as well as outreach and marketing.
Jake Metz: Media Commons Technology Support Specialist
Jake Metz is the Media Commons Technology Support Specialist. He designs, builds, and maintains the Media Commons studio spaces, oversees and trains staff, and stays engaged with emerging multimedia technology solutions. Jake is always happy to consult with students, faculty and staff on media production projects – particularly those on the cutting edge!
In the News
The Media Commons has been fortunate enough to be featured in several news articles since its opening in March of 2013.
- The best study spots on campus (July 5, 2015)
- University Library sees less physical borrowing, more online usage (Feb 28, 2015)
- Get the most of C-U on a student’s budget (July 26, 2014)
- Undergraduate library renovations underway (June 30, 2014)
- New Media Commons studio opens, provides professional audio equipment (Feb 10, 2014)
- Media Commons expands to include video, audio studios (Sept 4, 2013)
- Undergraduate Library opens professional video production studio (March 15, 2013)
- UGL and CITES provides more loanable technology, support for students (Feb 22, 2013)
- Illinois library services start building new media centers (Sept 5, 2012)
Partners and Support Services
Technology Consultant Partners – offer drop in sessions, workshops, consulting or other expertise related to technology and media.
- Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning
- Technology Services
- Ethnography of the University
- College of Media
- College of ACES
- University Library Scholarly Commons