Hours of Operation
Which part of the Media Commons you would like to use?
Loanable Technology – Equipment checkout at the Loanable Technology desk is currently available whenever the UGL is open, contingent upon item availability; You can request an Advance Booking using the method described on the “Loanable Tech” page available here
Video Production Studio – For more information on availability and usage of the Video Production Studio check out the Video Studio page here
Audio Production Studio – The Media Commons Audio Booth is currently available as long as the Lower Level of the UGL is open (note: reservations end 45 minutes prior to UGL closing on Friday and Saturday nights. You can request to use the studio here
Media and Technology Consultations – Consultations are available by appointment. Please fill out the form (consultation form) to schedule an appointment, we should respond within 2 business days.
The Media Commons, is located on the north and east side of the upper level of the Undergraduate Library, is a collaborative campus effort that provides students and faculty opportunities to experiment with emerging technologies, with expanded opportunities to learn of best practices in educational technology. In addition to a robust loanable technology program, the Media Commons is a service space that offers faculty, students, and users the ability to create, disseminate, use, and curate digital media. The goal is to meet the need for broad access to media creation tools, information technology training in multimedia hardware and software, and instruction in media literacy.
The Media Commons opened in 2013 and began as a Partnership between The Library and Technology Services, with support from the Library IT student fee program.
The Media Commons formed in March 2013 to provide faculty, students and staff a space to create digital media projects.
- For faculty and staff, it is a space to discover effective ways to integrate digital media into their curriculum and to demonstrate to their students the equipment and techniques used by professionals.
- For students it is a space to facilitate the creation of both basic and advanced projects and to explore creative ideas.
Support is the cornerstone of this endeavor. Technology alone is not enough. The Media Commons provides support and education using either an individual’s media and technology or equipment available through the Media Commons or the Undergraduate Library. Current technology support offered in the Media Commons and video production studio is provided by the combined efforts of Media Commons staff, staff from Technology Services, and other technology partners from around the campus.
An important mission of The Media Commons is to help train and educate those affiliated with the University on techniques and best practices for creating and editing video, as well as the basic usage and implementation of production studios.
Media Commons Staff
Eric Kurt: Media Commons Coordinator
Eric is the Coordinator and first employee for the Media Commons. He helped construct the services and spaces within the Media Commons. His main focus is on strategy as well as outreach and marketing.
Susan Muirhead: Media Innovation and Instructional Services Specialist
Susan is the Instructional Specialist for the Media Commons. Susan partners with the library, campus and external partners to provide instructional programming and support for emerging and innovative models of multimedia in the classroom.
In the News
- The best study spots on campus (July 5, 2015)
- University Library sees less physical borrowing, more online usage (Feb 28, 2015)
- Get the most of C-U on a student’s budget (July 26, 2014)
- Undergraduate library renovations underway (June 30, 2014)
- New Media Commons studio opens, provides professional audio equipment (Feb 10, 2014)
- Media Commons expands to include video, audio studios (Sept 4, 2013)
- Undergraduate Library opens professional video production studio (March 15, 2013)
- UGL and CITES provides more loanable technology, support for students (Feb 22, 2013)
- Illinois library services start building new media centers (Sept 5, 2012)
Partners and Support Services
- Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning
- Ethnography of the University
- College of Media
- College of ACES
- University Library Scholarly Commons