324 Main Library | 1408 West Gregory Drive | Urbana IL 61801 | 217-333-1777 | ihlc@library.illinois.edu
Browse by: Collection Titles Subjects Persons or Organizations
Please note: Due to COVID-19 response measures at the University of Illinois Library, the IHLC is currently open on an appointment-only basis. In-person appointments are limited, but we continue to be able to fulfill digitization requests for remote access. Please email us at ihlc@library.illinois.edu for more information about the process for making an appointment or making a digitization request.

American Association of University Women, Collinsville Branch Records

Overview

Scope and Contents

Subject Terms

PDF Box/Folder List

Finding Aid for American Association of University Women, Collinsville Branch Records, 1980-1998 | Illinois History and Lincoln Collections

RequestSubmit request (Aeon) | Printer-friendly Printer-friendly | Email Us Contact Us About This Collection

Collection Overview

Title: American Association of University Women, Collinsville Branch Records, 1980-1998

Primary Creator: American Association of University Women, Collinsville Branch

Extent: 1.7 cubic feet

Subjects: American Association of University Women, Association of Collegiate Alumnae (U.S.), Clubs, Madison County--Collinsville (Ill.), Societies, Women's rights

Forms of Material: Organizational records

Scope and Contents of the Materials

This collection is comprised of records from the Collinsville branch of the American Association of University Women. Located northeast of St. Louis, the Collinsville branch focuses on advancing women's equality and rights through education, advocacy, and research. Records include newsletters, reports, correspondence, and other materials.

The American Association of University Women began in 1881 when seventeen women in Boston formed the Association of Collegiate Alumnae for the purpose of uniting the alumnae of different institutions for practical educational work. In 1889 it merged with the Western Association of College Women under the ACA name. A final union with the Southern Association of College Women in 1921 brought about the present AAUW.

The Collinsville branch was chartered by the national level of AAUW on August 25, 1987, and 27 women and 1 man, Dr. Richard Cameron, became the initial members. Dr. Cameron was the first male charter member of AAUW in Illinois. The induction of the branch was celebrated on August 29, 1987, at the Collinsville Memorial Library. After nine years of involvement in the community, the branch disbanded in 1996.

The collection offers insight into administrative functions at the branch, state, and national levels of AAUW with records including charters, bylaws, convention booklets, officer handbooks, and branch reports. The collection also includes materials and resources for various projects the Collinsville branch was involved in, such as the "Girls Can!" and "Growing Smart" national AAUW campaigns. The branch held and participated in local events and fundraisers such as the "Women Who Care" Dinner, the Piasa Area Math-Science Workshop, and a poetry sale. Records from these events include programs, newspaper clippings, advertisements, and informational resources. National, state, and branch newsletters also discuss upcoming events and projects for members.

The Library acquired this collection from Margaret C. Buel in April of 1997.

Subject/Index Terms

American Association of University Women
Association of Collegiate Alumnae (U.S.)
Clubs
Madison County--Collinsville (Ill.)
Societies
Women's rights

Administrative Information

Repository: Illinois History and Lincoln Collections

Box/Folder List

URL: http://www.library.illinois.edu/ihx/inventories/aauw-collinsville.pdf

PDF finding aid for American Association of University Women, Collinsville Branch Records


Page Generated in: 0.091 seconds (using 53 queries).
Using 5.82MB of memory. (Peak of 6.18MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright (c) The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign