Title: Wade, Douglas E. Papers, 1925-1991
Primary Creator: Wade, Douglas E
Extent: 3.4 cubic feet
Douglas E. Wade (1909-1987) was a wildlife conservationist, ecologist, educator, editor, writer, and prairie restorer.
Graduating from Beloit College in 1935, Wade received an M.S. degree in 1940 at the University of Wisconsin, where he studied under Aldo Leopold. Between 1938 and 1963, he was a research specialist for the Pennsylvania Game Commission, a wildlife instructor at the University of Missouri, a naturalist in residence at Dartmouth College, and the head of the education division of the Saskatchewan Department of Natural Resources. He also edited the Journal of Soil and Water Conservation, 1956-59.
From 1964 until his retirement in 1987, Wade was professor of outdoor education at Northern Illinois University's Lorado Taft Campus. He and his wife were instrumental in founding the Prairie Preservation Society of Ogle County, Ill., and their Windrift Prairie Shop and Nursery in Oregon, Ill., specializing in native species.
This collection contains biographical material, Wade's correspondence with colleagues, published and unpublished writings, research files, organizational papers, and a large collection of reference files, mostly containing professional literature. Subjects covered in the reference files include conservation education and theory, ecology, forestry, population control, prairie preservation and restoration, soil and water conservation, and wildlife and game management. The collection also includes many publications by and about Aldo Leopold, transcripts of Leopold's radio talks, and notes and handouts from Leopold's classes.
Dorothy R. Wade donated the collection to the Library in 1990 and 1995. Jane and Dean Shaeffer of Dixon, Ill., and Tanya and Christopher Vernon of Champaign, Ill., facilitated this acquisition.
PDF finding aid for Wade, Douglas E. Papers