324 Main Library | 1408 West Gregory Drive | Urbana IL 61801 | 217-333-1777 | ihlc@library.illinois.edu
Browse by: Collection Titles Subjects Persons or Organizations
Please note: Due to COVID-19 response measures at the University of Illinois Library, the IHLC is currently open on an appointment-only basis. In-person appointments are limited, but we continue to be able to fulfill digitization requests for remote access. Please email us at ihlc@library.illinois.edu for more information about the process for making an appointment or making a digitization request.

Robinson, Harry F. Architectural Materials

Overview

Scope and Contents

Subject Terms

Administrative Information

PDF Box/Folder List

Finding Aid for Robinson, Harry F. Architectural Materials, 1907-1953 | Illinois History and Lincoln Collections

RequestSubmit request (Aeon) | Printer-friendly Printer-friendly | Email Us Contact Us About This Collection

Collection Overview

Title: Robinson, Harry F. Architectural Materials, 1907-1953

Primary Creator: Robinson, Harry F (1883-1959)

Extent: 1.0 cubic feet

Subjects: Architecture, Champaign County--Champaign (Ill.), Chicago Literary Club, Cook County--Chicago (Ill.), Cook County--River Forest (Ill.), Cook County--Riverside (Ill.), DuPage County--Glen Ellyn (Ill.), DuPage County--Naperville (Ill.), Kane County--Aurora (Ill.), Kane County--Elgin (Ill.), Kane County--Geneva (Ill.), Minnesota, Phi Gamma Delta, Robinson, Harry Franklin, 1883-1959, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Wright, Frank Lloyd, 1867-1959

Forms of Material: Professional papers

Scope and Contents of the Materials

This collection contains the architectural papers of Harry F. Robinson, an architect who worked in Chicago during the early and mid-twentieth century.

Harry Franklin Robinson was born November 2, 1883 in Alliance, Ohio. During Robinson's early youth, his family moved to Mattoon, Illinois. After his graduation from Mattoon High School in 1901, he spent a year in St. Paul, Minnesota, working as a draftsman at an architectural firm. He began attending the University of Illinois in 1902, studying architectural engineering under Dr. Nathan Clifford Ricker. While at the University of Illinois, Robinson was an active member of several student organizations, including the fraternity Phi Gamma Delta and the University of Illinois Architectural Club. He graduated with his Bachelor's degree in architectural engineering in June 1906.

His work with the Architectural Club had introduced him to Frank Lloyd Wright, and he was invited to work at Wright's Oak Park, Illinois studio immediately after graduation. He worked for Wright as a draftsman until 1908, when he left to work for Walter Burley Griffin in Chicago. He held a more senior role in Griffin's office, but left that post to return to work under Wright in 1911, managing his Chicago office and coordinating a number of commissions.

He left Wright's office in 1916 after their relationship deteriorated, and joined the firm of George and Arthur Dean, where he developed housing projects. On George Dean's death, he became a controlling partner in the firm. He left Dean and Dean to start his own private practice in late 1922, designing private residences, churches, and schools in the Chicago area and in Minnesota. However, he was forced to give up this practice due to the economic downturn of the Great Depression, going back to school to study for a Master's degree in History from 1932 and 1934. Though he hoped to teach, he instead joined the Public Housing Administration, where he worked until 1955. Robinson died August 15, 1959.

The collection includes Robinson's original drawings, floorplans, and blueprints for many of his works, including private residences and industrial housing projects, primarily from Chicago and the surrounding suburban area. It also includes architectural photographs, papers Robinson presented to the Chicago Literary Club, and Robinson's typed Master's dissertation. The collection also contains a copy of The Life and Works of Harry Franklin Robinson, 1883-1959, published in 1989 by James A. Robinson.

Joseph and James Robinson, son and grandson of Harry F. Robinson, donated the collection to the University of Illinois Library in 1990. They donated additional materials in 1992.

Subject/Index Terms

Architecture
Champaign County--Champaign (Ill.)
Chicago Literary Club
Cook County--Chicago (Ill.)
Cook County--River Forest (Ill.)
Cook County--Riverside (Ill.)
DuPage County--Glen Ellyn (Ill.)
DuPage County--Naperville (Ill.)
Kane County--Aurora (Ill.)
Kane County--Elgin (Ill.)
Kane County--Geneva (Ill.)
Minnesota
Phi Gamma Delta
Robinson, Harry Franklin, 1883-1959
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Wright, Frank Lloyd, 1867-1959

Administrative Information

Repository: Illinois History and Lincoln Collections

Related Materials: Victor, Paul F., Sr Papers, 1918-2015 For more information please see https://www.library.illinois.edu/ihx/archon/index.php?p=collections/controlcard&id=7126.

Box/Folder List

URL: http://www.library.illinois.edu/ihx/inventories/robinson-harry.pdf

PDF finding aid for Robinson, Harry F. Architectural Materials


Page Generated in: 0.106 seconds (using 53 queries).
Using 5.85MB of memory. (Peak of 6.22MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright (c) The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign