324 Main Library | 1408 West Gregory Drive | Urbana IL 61801 | 217-333-1777 | ihlc@library.illinois.edu
Browse by: Collection Titles Subjects Persons or Organizations
Please note: For the fall 2021 semester, IHLC will be open for walk-ins during weekday afternoons, 1-5pm, and otherwise by appointment only. In-person appointments are limited, but we continue to be able to fulfill digitization requests for remote access. Please email us at ihlc@library.illinois.edu for more information about the process for making an appointment or making a digitization request.

New Harmony, Indiana. Records

Overview

Scope and Contents

Subject Terms

PDF Box/Folder List

Finding Aid for New Harmony, Indiana. Records, 1814-1880, 1950 | Illinois History and Lincoln Collections

RequestSubmit request (Aeon) | Printer-friendly Printer-friendly | Email Us Contact Us About This Collection

Collection Overview

Title: New Harmony, Indiana. Records, 1814-1880, 1950

Primary Creator: New Harmony, Indiana

Extent: 0.7 cubic feet. More info below.

Subjects: Communitarianism, Indiana--New Harmony, Owen, Robert, 1771-1858, Property

Forms of Material: Copies, Organizational records

Scope and Contents of the Materials

This collection contains copies of papers and records pertaining to the community at New Harmony, Indiana.

The town of New Harmony was established in 1814 by a group of German Separatists. Ten years later, the settlement of New Harmony and the surrounding land was purchased by Robert Owen. Owen hoped to create a utopian community based on education, social reform, and communal living. The community established a government in the form of the Preliminary Society in May 1825, and the town adopted a constitution in February 1826. Due to complications from inequality of credits given to purchase goods, overcrowding, lack of self-sufficient production of goods, and the promotion of enlightenment ideals over religious beliefs by Owen, the utopian community dissolved in 1829.

The Working Men's Institute was founded in New Harmony in 1838 by William Maclure, who had embraced the importance of education that was promoted by the utopian community. The Institute provided a central location for laborers to come together and learn from each other. The Institute, which is still in existence as of 2017, includes the oldest library in continuous operation, a museum, and an archives.

The collection includes materials grouped into five series labeled A-E. Series A contains copies of letters, clippings, and other documents concerning the formation and activities of New Harmony. Series B includes copies of legal documents pertaining to Robert Owen's purchase of New Harmony and the litigation following its disintegration. Series C contains copies of proceedings of the Preliminary Society, minutes of the convention established to form a constitution, other accounts of the New Harmony Community, and journals of the Education Society founded in the community by William Maclure in 1826. Series D contains copies of correspondence of New Harmony Community members. Series E includes copies of maps of New Harmony and the surrounding area. Also included in the collection is a copy of a catalog by Arthur Bestor, Jr., which describes the items in the collection that are contained on microfilm.

Arthur E. Bestor, Jr. donated the copies and microfilm to the Illinois Historical Survey, the predecessor of the Illinois History and Lincoln Collections, from 1950-1951. He also directed the photocopying and microfilming of the originals, which are currently in the possession of the New Harmony Working Men's Institute.

Subject/Index Terms

Communitarianism
Indiana--New Harmony
Owen, Robert, 1771-1858
Property

Administrative Information

Repository: Illinois History and Lincoln Collections

Alternate Extent Statement: 3 microfilm reels

Box/Folder List

URL: http://www.library.illinois.edu/ihx/inventories/new-harmony.pdf

PDF finding aid for New Harmony, Indiana. Records


Page Generated in: 0.112 seconds (using 53 queries).
Using 5.82MB of memory. (Peak of 6.13MB.)

Powered by Archon Version 3.21 rev-3
Copyright (c) The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign