Founded in 1930 by Emma Jones, of McAllen, Tex., the Navy Mothers' Clubs of America is a non-political welfare organization that supports military personnel and veterans through volunteerism at VA hospitals, veterans' homes, and in the U.S.O. During the twentieth century Navy Mothers' Clubs often served food to convalescing veterans, provided company and entertainment for elderly veterans, and mailed gifts and Christmas cards to troops.
The Champaign chapter (#117) was chartered in 1941. This collection consists of the Champaign chapter's records, including histories of the chapter, minutes of meetings, correspondence from troops, scrapbooks and photographs of club events (such as national conventions, parades, and "crazy hat contests"), volunteerism records, and financial records. The collection also includes national charters and by-laws, issues of the Navy Mothers News, and Illinois state convention programs.
The Library acquired the collection from Priscilla Ziegler, of Champaign, in 2002.