Danville Chapter of Hadassah Records, 1957-1994 | Illinois History and Lincoln Collections
The Danville Chapter of Hadassah was a social and political organization for Jewish women that operated in Danville, Illinois, from approximately 1957 to 1994. This collection consists of materials that document the chapter's members, events, and charitable giving.
The Danville Chapter of Hadassah was founded in the 1950s following the establishment of the State of Israel (1948). Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America, was founded by activist Henrietta Szold in New York in 1912. Still active today, Hadassah advocates for the empowerment of women, the advancement of medical care, and the strengthening of the relationship between Israel and the United States. In support of the Hadassah Medical Organization, the Danville Chapter of Hadassah hosted and participated in a variety of events that raised funds, as well as awareness for the Zionist cause. These included educational programs, inter-chapter conferences, fundraisers, and luncheons. The Danville Chapter of Hadassah served to unite the women of Danville's Jewish community across denominations, retaining members from Congregation Anshe Knesset Israel, a Conservative congregation, as well as the Reform congregation of Temple Beth El.
This collection contains materials that provide insight into the Danville Chapter of Hadassah's values and contributions to the Zionist movement in the United States. Records take the form of scrapbooks, certificates, newspaper clippings, notes, and ephemera.
These records were preserved and donated by Sybil Mervis in 2021.
View full finding aid and PDF box/folder list