This collection consists of a governing document of the Lincoln and Johnson Club of Washington City with signatures of club members.
The Lincoln and Johnson Club of Washington City was established in 1864 in Washington, D.C. Its purpose was to promote the fair and legal election of Abraham Lincoln and Andrew Johnson to the offices of President and Vice President of the United States, respectively, in the 1864 general election.
The collection is comprised of a document outlining the constitution of the Lincoln and Johnson Club of Washington City. It includes a Platform of Principles that was established by the National Union Convention held in Baltimore, Maryland, on June 7, 1864. Following the printed text are signatures of local businessmen and government employees who agreed to become members of the club, endorsing the constitution and principles and paying one dollar into the club treasury. Signatures were compiled by A.S. Pratt, a banker in Washington, D.C. Additional sheets were pasted to the document to extend space for signatures. The document has been folded and a portion of the signature list is detached.
The Library purchased this item in 2018 with support from the Dr. Harlan Horner Estate.