Scope and Contents:
Originally founded in 1880 as the Champaign Veteran Soldiers Historical Society, the Col. Nodine Post No. 140 was organized in 1882 and disbanded in 1935. The minutes of the society and the post from the first meeting in 1880 to the dissolution in 1935 are contained in the first nine volumes of this collection. Pasted in these volumes are letters and newspaper clippings mainly relating to encampments, deaths, and Memorial Day services. In addition, there are four volumes which record names of members as well as other information, including locations of graves. Two more volumes contain the lengthy Civil War reminiscences of Edwin Green, Co. C, 129th Ill. Vol. Inf., and shorter statements by fifty other members of the post. The three folders contain varied materials including a typed list of names of members, a set of photographs, and miscellaneous papers found in the bound volumes. Walter E. Price donated this collection to the Library in 1935.