Fort De Chartres Survey. Papers, 1847-1864 | Illinois History and Lincoln Collections
In 1847, Thomas Singleton investigated the ruins of Fort de Chartres, near Prairie du Rocher, Ill. This collection contains transcripts of Singleton's description of building materials and structures, and his sketch of the ruins. The collection also contains copies of photographs, taken between 1858 and 1864, of the powder magazine ruins and the interior of the fort.
Albert R. Gardner, Monroe County Superintendent of Highways, Waterloo, Ill., donated the transcripts to the Survey in 1915, while the photographs were copied from originals in the Mason Collection of the Champaign Public Library.