Illinois Department of Public Works and Buildings. Cahokia Court House Restoration Report, 1938 | Illinois History and Lincoln Collections
This collection contains records from the Illinois Department of Public Works and Buildings regarding the restoration of the Cahokia Court House located in Cahokia, Illinois. Records include a preliminary report and a letter.
Located on the eastern bank of the Mississippi River just outside of St. Louis, the Cahokia Court House was built in the 1730s during French colonization of the Illinois territory. The structure was originally used as a home, but it was later converted into a courthouse in 1793. According to the U.S. National Park Service, "the building was dismantled in 1901, re-erected twice, and reconstructed on its original site in 1939."
The collection includes the "Preliminary Report of the Research Work in connection with the Restoration of the Cahokia Court House," by Joseph F. Booton. The report contains research on the history of the Court House and the region of Cahokia, as well as information about the construction of the Court House. Records also include an introductory letter sent by Joseph Booton to Theodore C. Pease asking for his comments.
At the time of this project, Joseph Booton was the Chief of Design of the Division of Architecture and Engineering for the State of Illinois, and Theodore Pease was a history professor at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.