American Association of University Women, Chicago, Inc. Branch Records, 2003-2006 | Illinois History and Lincoln Collections
This collection is comprised of records from the Chicago, Inc. branch of the American Association of University Women. The Chicago, Inc. branch promotes equity, education, and opportunities for women of all ages. Records include three member directories.
The American Association of University Women began in 1881 when seventeen women in Boston formed the Association of Collegiate Alumnae for the purpose of uniting the alumnae of different institutions for practical educational work. In 1889 it merged with the Western Association of Collegiate Women under the ACA name. A final union with the Southern Association of College Women in 1921 brought about the present AAUW.
The Chicago, Inc. branch was formed in 1889, after having been previously organized under the Western Association of Collegiate Women. As of 2016, the Chicago Inc. branch continues to carry out its mission.
This collection consists of three member directories dating from 2003 to 2006. The member directories offer insight into branch activities and administration. Included in the directories are Board and officer lists, event schedules, branch bylaws, and membership lists.
The Chicago, Inc. branch is housed with the Aurora and Rockford branches of AAUW.