This collection is comprised of records from the Western Springs Area branch of the American Association of University Women. Located west of Chicago, the Western Springs Area branch promoted equity, education, and opportunities for women of all ages. Records include bylaws, yearbooks, branch awards, minutes, correspondence, and other materials.
The American Association of University Women began in 1881 when seventeen women in Boston formed the Association of Collegiate Alumnae for the purpose of uniting the alumnae of different institutions for practical educational work. In 1889 it merged with the Western Association of College Women under the ACA name. A final union with the Southern Association of College Women in 1921 brought about the present AAUW.
The Western Springs Area branch of AAUW was chartered on August 7, 1926 and became the first suburban branch in Illinois. In 2007, the branch disbanded due to declining membership and merged with the Salt Creek branch.
Although the collection includes material dating from 1952 to 2007, the bulk of the collection dates from 2001 to 2007.
The collection is comprised of one Administrative series. The branch bylaws discuss the purpose of the branch and outline policies for issues such as finances, membership, officers, and other topics. Minutes offer insight into branch membership, events, administrative reports, and other activities. Branch events include a "Networking: What Today's Woman Needs to Know to Succeed" presentation, the Holiday Market branch fundraiser, and a trip to the Jackie Kennedy Exhibit at the Field Museum. The collection includes yearbooks, which feature historical facts about the branch, event calendars, past scholarship recipients, membership lists, and officer lists. Also included in the collection is correspondence regarding the branch Research and Project Grant, which supported women in their current or future careers.
This collection was donated to the Library circa 2010.