This collection is comprised of records from the Addison branch of the American Association of University Women. Located west of Chicago, the Addison branch promoted equity, education, and opportunities for women of all ages. Records include bylaws, minutes, correspondence, event calendars, and other materials.
The American Association of University Women began in 1881 when seventeen women in Boston formed the Association of Collegiate Alumnae for the purpose of uniting the alumnae of different institutions for practical educational work. In 1889 it merged with the Western Association of College Women under the ACA name. A final union with the Southern Association of College Women in 1921 brought about the present AAUW.
The Addison branch of AAUW was formed in 2001. Alice Smith became the first branch president and later served on the AAUW-IL Board. In 2007 the branch disbanded and merged with the Elmhurst branch, which then changed its name to "Elmhurst Area" to include the former Addison branch members.
The collection is comprised of one Administrative series. The branch bylaws discuss the purpose of the branch and outline policies for issues such as meetings, finances, membership, officers, and other topics. Minutes offer insight into branch membership, events, administrative reports, and other activities. Branch events include a "Women in History" presentation at a local school, Women of Distinction award ceremonies, and bullying prevention discussions for students. The collection also includes a copy of the AAUW Addison Branch Scholarship application. The scholarship offers insight into the Addison branch's support of continuing education for young women about to graduate high school.
The Library acquired this collection in July of 2007.