American Association of University Women, Collinsville Branch Records, 1980-1998 | Illinois History and Lincoln Collections
This collection is comprised of records from the Collinsville branch of the American Association of University Women. Located northeast of St. Louis, the Collinsville branch focuses on advancing women's equality and rights through education, advocacy, and research. Records include newsletters, reports, correspondence, and other materials.
The American Association of University Women began in 1881 when seventeen women in Boston formed the Association of Collegiate Alumnae for the purpose of uniting the alumnae of different institutions for practical educational work. In 1889 it merged with the Western Association of College Women under the ACA name. A final union with the Southern Association of College Women in 1921 brought about the present AAUW.
The Collinsville branch was chartered by the national level of AAUW on August 25, 1987, and 27 women and 1 man, Dr. Richard Cameron, became the initial members. Dr. Cameron was the first male charter member of AAUW in Illinois. The induction of the branch was celebrated on August 29, 1987, at the Collinsville Memorial Library. After nine years of involvement in the community, the branch disbanded in 1996.
The collection offers insight into administrative functions at the branch, state, and national levels of AAUW with records including charters, bylaws, convention booklets, officer handbooks, and branch reports. The collection also includes materials and resources for various projects the Collinsville branch was involved in, such as the "Girls Can!" and "Growing Smart" national AAUW campaigns. The branch held and participated in local events and fundraisers such as the "Women Who Care" Dinner, the Piasa Area Math-Science Workshop, and a poetry sale. Records from these events include programs, newspaper clippings, advertisements, and informational resources. National, state, and branch newsletters also discuss upcoming events and projects for members.
The Library acquired this collection from Margaret C. Buel in April of 1997.
View full finding aid and PDF box/folder list