This collection contains research notes and photocopies of articles, clippings, and maps relating to early Illinois stagecoach lines from about 1819 to 1869. Most of the copies were made by Paul H. Stringham from material in the Peoria Historical Society Collection on deposit in the Special Collections Center, Bradley University Library.
The collection also includes Stringham's notes, on 3" x 5" index cards, regarding coal mines in west central, particularly in Fulton, Peoria, and Tazewell Counties. Stringham collected information on the name, owner, and exact location of each mine; its depth and years of operation; and the railroad spur that reached it.
Stringham (1913-2005) became interested in stagecoaches and mines as part of his research on railroads and traction lines in Illinois. His publications included 76 Years of Peoria Street Cars (1965, 1989), Chicago and Illinois Midland (1979), Illinois Terminal: The Electric Years (1989), and Toledo, Peoria & Western (1993). Richard W. and Karen D. Deller of Peoria donated the Stringham collection to the Library in 2015.