Scope and Contents:
The Thebes Courthouse Project was an historical research project initiated by the University of Illinois Cooperative Extension Service in 1973. Grenville C. King, Jr., a graduate student in History, was engaged to research the history of the courthouse, both to strengthen an application for restoration funds and to inform the community and tourists about the courthouse. The collection includes project correspondence, King's final report, two tourism pamphlets on the courthouse, and restoration recommendations. The collection also contains the 1934 Historic American Buildings Survey architectural report, two photographs, and blueprints for the courthouse. The courthouse is now on the National Register of Historic Places.