This collection consists of a transcription of a memorandum listing names and information about early missionaries in the St. Louis area compiled by the Chancellor of the Archdiocese of St. Louis in 1850.
In 1850, Rev. Edmund Saulnier, Chancellor of the Archdiocese of St. Louis, evidently compiled this memorandum of the names of missionaries who worked among the Native Americans on both sides of the Mississippi River before St. Louis was founded in 1764. The memorandum is written in Latin.
In 1919, Rev. Charles Gleissner provided this handwritten 14-page transcription of the list to Clarence W. Alvord, then the Director of the Illinois Historical Survey, who noted that certain early dates were mistaken.