Cyrus Rutherford, the son of Hiram Rutherford, was a doctor in Newman, Ill., where he was also mayor. In addition, Rutherford helped establish Newman Township High School, served as president of the Board of Education for over thirty years, and was active in the Royal Templars of Temperance. This collection contains business records of Rutherford's practice, from 1880 to 1909, including correspondence, bills and receipts, and account books and ledgers. The collection also contains medical and insurance-related advertisements, 1896-1904, and Rutherford's University of Pennsylvania medical school notebooks, 1875-77.
Eugenia Rutherford Nichols and Cyrus Rutherford Nichols, descendents of Cyrus Rutherford, donated the collection to the Library in 1978.