Finding Current News
For help finding current newspapers, or current news from any other source, the best place to begin is the Communications Library.
This page lists some of the more frequently used resources for finding current newspapers.
- New York Times: Text only current file, 1985-present.
- Washington Post: Text only current file, 1977-present.
- Wall Street Journal: Text only current file, 1984-present.
- Chicago Sun Times: Recent 2 months ony.
- Chicago Tribune: Text only current file, 1985-present.
- State Journal-Register (Springfield): Text only current file, 1985-present.
- News-Gazette (Champaign-Urbana): Text only current file, 1997-present.
- Library Press-Display: Recent sixty days for most titles. Full color facsimiles of 700 newspapers and magazines from over 50 countries.
- Access WorldNews: News from over 3000 sources world-wide (most starting in the 1990s or after 2000, but with some dating back to the 1980s.). Includes newspapers, magazines, wire-services, blogs, television transcripts, and more. Especially useful for small town “local” newspapers.
- EBSCO NewspaperSource: Articles from U.S. and international news sources, including newspapers, newswires, television transcripts, radio transcripts, and more.
- Nexis Uni: Formerly called LexisNexis Academic. News, business information, and business news.
- ProQuest International Newsstream: Formerly called International Newsstand. Over 800 newspapers, newswires, news magazines, trade journals, and reports.
- Latin American Newsstream: Formerly called Latin American Newsstand. 41 newspapers from Puerto Rico and 11 Latin American countries, with coverage beginning in 2005.
- Mideast Wire: News service that employs a team of translators around the region to gather important stories from and about the Middle East. It offers concise, translated briefs covering some of the key political, cultural, economic and opinion pieces appearing in the media of the 22 Arab countries, Iran and the Arab Diaspora.
- Online Black Newspaper Directory: Directory of major African American newspapers and news sources online, from BlackNews.com.
Current Print Newspapers
- The Communications Library (122 Gregory Hall) subscribes to over a dozen print newspapers, and retains the most recent 2 weeks.