The University of Illinois is now a participant in the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS).
The ETAS will provide University students, faculty and staff with online reading access to print materials that are currently unavailable to our users. It is being offered while the COVID-19 pandemic is limiting access to the print collection. By offering this service, HathiTrust is helping us to continue to support teaching and research during the stay-at-home order.
Through the ETAS, our faculty, staff, and students now have reading access to 46.65% of our print collection (based on overlap data generated by HathiTrust staff from the most recent catalog update we supplied to them). Specifically, the service provides the ability to electronically access and use in-copyright works from our print collection, where HathiTrust holds an electronic copy of the work. One concurrent digital checkout is allowed for each print copy.
Here are a few things to keep in mind with the service:
- We are in the process of updating the records in our catalog to streamline access to materials in the HathiTrust ETAS as well as make clear which items are unavailable in print.
- Students, faculty, and staff may also log in to HathiTrust and view all volumes that HathiTrust has verified as being held in our print collection, even if in copyright.
- Users can read and search the book online, but they will not be able to download the book in full.
- For each copy of a work in our collection, one simultaneous checkout will be allowed.
- All Library users continue to have access to more than 6.7 million public domain and Creative Commons-licensed works in HathiTrust, including the ability to download full text of those works.
There are two ways for you to access works in the ETAS.
- Login directly to the HathiTrust using their University of Illinois credentials.
- Search for the work in the Hathi Catalog.
- If a relevant item is found, it will display a “Temporary access” link.
- Check out the work using the yellow banner at the top of the page. Please note that the initial checkout period is 60 minutes and the checkout will automatically renew as long as the session is active and the user is active within the work.
Clicking on the HathiTrust Digital Library Fulltext link will take you to the University’s Shibboleth authentication page where you will be asked to enter your NetID and password.
Once authorized, you will be taken to the title’s record in the HathiTrust library.
Please see our Information for Users page for additional information and tips.
Requests for exceptions to access Hathi Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS) items in print must be directed to Chris Prom (Associate University Librarian for Digital Strategies) and Mary Laskowski (Director, Library Fulfillment). If our access strategy is otherwise not meeting your needs, or you need print access to items not held in the Hathi ETAS, we encourage you to contact the appropriate subject specialist to help determine how we can best assist you.