The University of Illinois is now a participant in the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS).
The ETAS will provide University students, faculty and staff with online reading access to print materials that are currently unavailable to our users. It is being offered while the COVID-19 pandemic is limiting access to the print collection. By offering this service, HathiTrust is helping us to continue to support teaching and research during the stay-at-home order.
Through the ETAS, our faculty, staff, and students now have reading access to 46.65% of our print collection (based on overlap data generated by HathiTrust staff from the most recent catalog update we supplied to them). Specifically, the service provides the ability to electronically access and use in-copyright works from our print collection, where HathiTrust holds an electronic copy of the work. One concurrent digital checkout is allowed for each print copy.
Here are a few things to keep in mind with the service:
- Students, faculty, and staff may log in to HathiTrust and view all volumes that HathiTrust has verified as being held in our print collection, even if in copyright.
- Users can read and search the book online, but they will not be able to download the book in full.
- Single page downloads are available.
- For each copy of a work in our collection, one simultaneous checkout will be allowed.
- All Library users continue to have access to more than 6.7 million public domain and Creative Commons-licensed works in HathiTrust, including the ability to download full text of those works.
There are two ways for you to access works in the ETAS.
- Login directly to the HathiTrust using their University of Illinois credentials.
- Search for the work in the Hathi Catalog.
- If a relevant item is found, it will display a “Temporary access” link.
- Check out the work using the yellow banner at the top of the page. Please note that the initial checkout period is 60 minutes and the checkout will automatically renew as long as the session is active and the user is active within the work.
Clicking on the HathiTrust Digital Library Fulltext link will take you to the HathiTrust site. You will initially see an error message stating the item is not available online. You are in the right place, keep going. Click the yellow “LOG IN” button at the top of the screen.
Select our institution for the dropdown list and click “CONTINUE.”
You will then have access to the title through the Emergency Temporary Access Service.
Please see our Information for Users page for additional information and tips.