This page contains links to various guides that can help you with your research and with using library services. These guides are broken up into three categories: Search Engine Guides, Research Guides, and Database Guides. For further assistance, don’t hesitate to Ask a Librarian!
Search Engine Guides
- CPLA Easy Search
How to use the City-Planning and Landscape Architecture Easy Search, which allows you to simultaneous search multiple databases and resources.
- Funk Library Easy Search
How to use the Funk Library Easy Search, a search and discovery tool that allows you to search several databases at once.
How to use I-Share, which lets you borrow materials from most university libraries in Illinois.
- Online Journals & Databases
A general guide for searching journals and databases. More specific guides can be found below.
How to search WorldCat, which contains the collections of libraries from around the world.
A brief list of recommended general library research resources.
- Finding Library Materials
A general guide on different methods to find materials in the library.
- Selected University Library Research Resources
A brief overview of general university library resources for research and research support.
- How to Find Conference Proceedings
This guide provides information on conference proceedings, including those published in journals, supplements, books, and reports.
- How to Read a Scientific Paper
A guide on what to look for when reading and evaluating scientific papers.
- Journals vs Magazines
A guide that explains the differences between journals & magazines.
- How to Find Dissertations and Theses
How to find dissertations and theses from University of Illinois and around the world.
- Research Standards and Resources
Information on research standards. Covers topics such as ethics, copyright, and plagiarism.
- Retrieving Articles at the University of Illinois Library
A general purpose guide that covers a variety of ways to obtain articles through the library system.
- Tips for Searching Article Databases
An in-depth guide that has many useful tips and tricks for searching article databases.
- Academic Search Ultimate
- Access World News
- Art Index Retrospective (forthcoming)
- Avery Index to Periodicals
- Biological Abstracts
- CAB Abstracts
- Engineering Village
- Food Science & Technology Abstracts
- Garden, Landscape and Horticulture Index
- IEEE / Xplore
- Index to Current Urban Documents
- Nexis Uni: Basic Searching (forthcoming)
- Nexis Uni: Advanced Searching (forthcoming)
- ProQuest Dissertations & Theses
- PubMed Basic Searching
- PubMed Advanced Searching
- Scopus: Basic Searching
- Scopus: Advanced Searching
- Sociological Abstracts
- Web of Science: Basic Searching
- Web of Science: Advanced Searching