The IDEA Lab is located in Grainger Engineering Library and Information Center, on the Lower Level West. All campus members are welcome to use Lab spaces, technologies, and resources during operating hours. For questions and consultations please email
email@example.com or use the question form below.
Hours & Availability
11AM – 2PM, Monday – Friday
Submit a request about finding, using or integrating emerging technologies into your course or research project.
About the IDEA Lab
The IDEA Lab provides space and technology for collaboration, innovation, and entrepreneurship and supports a wide range of digital scholarship activities. The lab functions as a demonstration and prototyping site for exploring the interface between design learning, informatics, visualization, and data analytics. It features the informatics innovations and pioneering technologies that make the Grainger Engineering Library Information Center unique.
See below for more information about each of the IDEA Lab’s technologies.
The Large-Scale Visualization Theater is for large group (12-15 people) presentation and viewing of audio/video content on the 8’x14’ 8K display wall, equipped with teleconferencing devices, and lounge seating with attached desks
- The Wall is comprised of 16 46” monitors
- 7,680 by 4,320 pixel, true 8K, resolution
- Powered by a high-end Windows 10 workstation with NVIDIA Quadro 6000 video card
- Equipped with JBL studio monitor speakers
The Immersive Learning Lab is for large group (12-15 people) workshops, course labs, RSOs, campus eSports, equipped with high-end workstations for development, VR-content, and an instructor station that casts to two 84” wall-mounted displays.
– The Virtual & Augmented Reality Lab for small group (4-6 people) experimentation and development support for VR/AR, including workstations, headsets, and support equipment.
- Valve Index
- HTC Vive Pro (with wireless kit)
- Oculus Rift S
- HoloLens 1 & 2
An Informatics Laboratory for work on information discovery and database technologies
- A mini-visualization wall comprised of 4 55″ monitors
- True 8K resolution
- Four 65” mobile touchscreen monitors with attached workstations
The Pitch Room is for medium group (4-8 people) presentations. Equipped with a 84” wall-mounted display, A/V support equipment, and lounge seating.
The Usability Lab for small group (4-6 people) usability sessions, including a moderator workstation, multiple high-res webcams, and support software and equipment for conducting experiments and recording outcomes.
Rooms A – E, medium group (4-8 people) work rooms for collaborating on discovery, design, and data projects.
- 58″ mobile high-definition monitors with attached workstations
- Mobile tables & chairs
Rooms 002 – 007, Collab Rooms are for small group (2-6 people) with tables and displays for group project work
- 4′ x 6′ collaboration tables with attached 42” monitors
- Solstice pods for device mirroring
- Six Extron switch cables (4 HDMI; 2 VGA)
- All campus members are welcome during operating hours.
- Valid reservations are required for all spaces and technology.
- No food is allowed (unless prior arrangements are made).