Submit a proposal to gain access to the IDEA Lab.
Please note that access must be renewed each semester.
About the IDEA Lab
The IDEA Lab provides space and technology for collaboration, innovation, and entrepreneurship and supports a wide range of digital scholarship activities. The lab functions as a demonstration and prototyping site for exploring the interface between design learning, informatics, visualization, and data analytics. It features the informatics innovations and pioneering technologies that make the Grainger Engineering Library Information Center unique.
- Only users with keycard access may enter.
- Each person must swipe their keycard each time they enter.
- No food is allowed (unless prior arrangements are made).
Spaces and Technology
See below for more information about each of the IDEA Lab’s technologies.
A 13.5′ feet by 7.5′ visualization wall ideal for high-definition presentations
- Comprised of 16 46” monitors
- 7,680 by 4,320 pixel, true 8K, resolution
- Powered by a high-end Windows 10 workstation with NVIDIA Quadro 6000 video card
- HTC Vive
- Oculus Rift (coming spring 2018)
- HoloLens (coming spring 2018)
- A mini-visualization wall comprised of 4 55″ monitors
- True 8K resolution
- Four 65” mobile touchscreen monitors with attached workstations
- LulzBot TAZ 5 3D printers with PLA printing capabilities
- One LulzBot TAZ 5 3D printer equipped with dual extruders
- Sense 3D scanner
Two presentation spaces for enhanced interactive presentations
- north area with dual 84” monitors
- east area includes a single 84” monitor equipped with wireless presentation technology
- Glass writing surfaces
- Mobile whiteboards
- 58″ mobile high-definition monitors with attached workstations
Collaboration tables for group project work
- 4′ x 6′ collaboration tables with attached 42” monitors
- Six Extron switch cables (4 HDMI; 2 VGA)