Predominant dates: 1960-1975
Created by: A. Richard Williams
Williams is a Professor Emeritus in the School of Architecture at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. He served as the Design Architect for the university’s Education Building and designed several buildings across the state. In 1981, he published The Urban Stage: A Reflexion of Architecture and Urban Design.
The Williams Papers have been arranged as a single series, and organized chronologically by architectural project or publication.
Scope and Content of the Materials
Consists of photographs, negatives, transparencies, articles, proposals, periodicals, posters, architectural drawings, and two bound books; these materials provide an overview of Williams’ architectural career during the 1960s and 1970s, and include a range of projects that were completed throughout the state of Illinois as well as several that were proposed but never realized.
1 cu. ft. with a supplemental box for oversized posters
- Folder 1 – Williams residence. Floorplans
- Folder 2 – Williams residence. Notes
- Folder 3 – Williams residence. Drawings and transparencies
- Folder 4 – Williams residence. Plans
- Folder 5 – Williams residence. Color photographs
- Folder 6 – Williams residence. Exteriors
- Folder 7 – Williams residence. Interiors (1 or 2)
- Folder 8 – Williams residence. Interiors (2 of 2)
- Folder 9 – Williams residence. Negatives
- Folder 10 – College of Education, 1964
- Folder 11 – Collaborative design studio proposal, April 1965
- Folder 12 – Skylines Midwest Architecture, June/July 1966
- Folder 13 – Center for Advanced Study proposal, November 1966
- Folder 14 – Laputta Gazette/403, December 1968-March 1969
- Folder 15 – Jackson/Williams exhibit program, December 1968-January 1969
- Folder 16 – Journal of Aesthetic Education, October 1970
- Folder 17 – Concordia Theological Seminary
- Additional Items: One copy of the study draft for The Urban Stage: A Reflexion of Architecture and Urban Design
- Folder 1 – Architecture on Record. Images, 1960-1965
- Folder 2 – Architecture on Record. Images, 1965-1968
- Folder 3 – Center for Advanced Study. Models and drawings from proposal, November 1966
- Folder 4 – Various projects. Damaged acetate negatives.
- Additional Items:
- Binder with descriptive data for Williams residence, 1960
- Binder with descriptive data for Appellate Court Building, 1968
- City Hall Square Study Preliminary Report, March 1969
- one paperback copy of The Urban Stage: A Reflexion of Architecture and Urban Design
- 5 Miscellaneous Publications [2 copies each title]
- A. Richard Williams, “The Future University as an Urban Metaphor,” Offprint of an article from The Journal of Aesthetic Education Vol. 4, No. 4 (October 1970): 111-118.
- Pamphlet: “Dedication: College of Education Building, November 6 and 7, 1964, University of Illinois, Urbana”
- Billy Morrow Jackson and A. Richard Williams. Jackson : paintings and drawings, Williams: design spectrum. Catalog from an exhibition held at the Krannert Art Museum, December 15, 1968 through January 5, 1969.
- Skylines: Midwest Architecture (June/July 1966). See especially, “Urban and Regional Design discussed by Professor A. Richard Williams,” on pgs. 4-5.
- The Laputa Gazette & Faculty News, Special issue: Campus Architecture by Dick Williams (Vol. I, No. 5, February 15, 1969).
- Additional Items: Graduate Urban Design Studio. Posters, 1966-1967