Water Hemlock (Cicuta maculata L.)
The toxic principle of water hemlock has been called cicutoxin and is a resinoid. It is a thick, yellow liquid with a carrot-like or raw parsnip-like odor. It is concentrated especially in the roots and the base of the stem at or below ground surface. The roots are toxic all year. Young leaves are nearly as toxic as roots, but mature leaves have been consumed in summer and autumn without associated problems.
Ingestion of two ounces of water hemlock tubers can kill a sheep, and eight to ten ounces of mature plant can kill a cow.
| Description & image | Distribution | Conditions of poisoning | Control | Clinical signs |
| Plant Lists: Scientific or Common | Veterinary Medicine Library | UIUC Library |