Guide to Indexes & Abstracts
Features include: world coverage of veterinary medicine, animal science, parasitology /
helminthology, nutrition, reproduction, husbandry, etc. Also includes agricultural topics such as
crop science, horticulture, fertilizer, agricultural engineering, rural sociology and
- Covers journal articles, conference proceedings, books, and technical reports.
- Need to enter synonyms and related terms
- Search for US / UK spelling variations, e.g., soybean* or soyabean*.
- Author name search: use hyphen as "lastname-i or lastname-*" (* is a truncation symbol)
- Use the thesaurus and index tools
- Updated quarterly.
Focus on medical science journal information including veterinary medicine with the utmost
emphasis on human medicine. Most useful for bacteriology, virology, parasitology, food
contamination, epidemiology, public health, and clinical specialties such as oncology, dentistry,
ophthalmology, etc. Indexes 4800+ journals, including
- Search tips:
- Use the MESH Database to search Medical Subject Headings for accurate and comprehensive
- In the Preview / Index tab, search for Authors by entering "lastname, first initial"
- Updated daily.
- Sign up for a "MyNCBI" account, and get e-mail alerts about new articles in your subject
NCBI's PubMed Help
Note: Medline is also available for searching via the
Web of Knowledge search interface, and
combination with Scopus.
Fourteen databases on toxicology, hazardous chemicals, environmental health, and toxic releases.
Available to search for free.
A subset of ToxNet is ToxLine, which is an extensive array of references to the literature on
biochemical, pharmacological, physiological, and toxicological effects of drugs and other
chemicals. Search Toxline ToxLine via the
free site, or via the
Cambridge Scientific Abstracts search interface.
Worldwide coverage of over 4,000 life science journals. Best place to search for wildlife,
environmental toxicology, and other biological topics.
- Covers: journal articles only.
- Search tips:
- Best to use genus species names for searching organisms.
- Use concept codes to retrieve subject areas such as environmental toxicology, pathology,
chemical constituencies of plants, etc.
- Author search: enter "lastname initial*" or use the author index to pick author names.
- Updated every two months
Tutorial for Biological Abstracts
Identifies articles related to the field of pharmaceuticals including drug therapy, toxicity and
- IPA provides citations and abstracts for articles in more than 650 pharmacy journals about
drugs, pharmacy practice, and pharmaceutical education.
- Updated monthly.
Online version of three Citation Indexes: Humanities, Social Science, and Science.
- Over 8,000 journals are indexed from all disciplines. Of these, over 5,400 are in the sciences
and over 120 related to veterinary medicine.
- There are two search modes, General and Cited Reference.
- General Search:
- Search for articles by topic, author, journal, institution.
- Author search: enter "lastname (space) initial*" or use the author index
- Journal title search: use the source titles list to pick title(s)
- Cited Reference:
- Search for articles that have cited a specific article or are cited by articles. Usually start
with a known author.
- Best place to determine the correct citation for a reference, if the one you have seems to be
- Best place for tracking down obscure reference outside the scope of other databases mentioned
- Updated weekly.
How to use Web of Science
Back to top