Information About Copyright and Fair Use
The nuts and bolts:
- Copyright FAQs (Electronic Frontier Foundation)
- Fair Use FAQs (Electronic Frontier Foundation)
- Media Education Foundation's "A Fair(y) Use Tale"
- Center for Social Media commentary on video mashups (with links to great examples)
Finding copyright-friendly content:
- Creative Commons
- Springfield Township High School Library guide to copyright-friendly sources
- 30+ places to find Creative Commons media
- Creative Commons Music
- Flickr Commons
- YouTube Audio Library
Example of Creative Commons image attribution:
Sample request letter for permission to use a copyrighted work:
I am a student at University Laboratory High School in Urbana, Illinois. I am working on a web page for a class project and I was wondering if I could have permission to use an image from your site. [INSERT a sentence that describes the purpose of your project and the reason why the image is desired.] I would be happy to remove the image when the project is finished at the end of the semester (INSERT the date). The URL of my site is http://www.uni.illinois.edu/filename.html.