Research - Locate Sources
Research: How do I locate sources?
databasesusing keywords identified
- examine results to identify other terminology and refine search
- understand what type of material is located in the different types of databases (general,
discipline specific, subject specific, news sources, reference sources)
- plan a search strategy that will help with precision and recall in searching; understand that
many keywords input into a database will yield a lower amount of results and less keywords will
give you more results
- Understand what kinds of information you are likely to find in different types of sources and
their appropriateness to your assignment: websites, reference materials, newspapers,
academic articles or magazines.
- Closely examine the best resources you find and note the vocabulary (subject headings) assigned
to these sources. Add these to your concept map or research log.
- repeat your search using subject heading
- Examine the Works Cited and Bibliography of books and articles to lead you to more items
- Locate sources in online and print formats
Ask A Librarian if you
cannot locate sources for your topic.