SOCIAL SCIENCES DIVISION
November 7, 2012
428 Main Library
Minute taker: Mary Beth Allen
Present: Lisa Romero, Nancy O’Brien, Peg Burnette, Kelly McCusker, Yoo-Seong Song, Sandy Wolfe, Mary Beth Allen
1. Announcements and Discussion Items:
A. Peg Burnette, Biomedical Sciences Librarian, was officially introduced (O’Brien).
B. A presentation was made by Jim Dohle and Beth Sandore of Library IT. The focus was on communication of our needs to Library IT. Beth introduced Jim’s role and the shift toward a more cohesive leadership in library technical services. Jim will take charge of the IT help desk, workstation support, infrastructure support, the web site, and various technology such as the SFX link resolver, etc.
Jim described the IT survey that is live through November 21 and encouraged us to complete the survey. The Library assessment group will analyze the results and determine how to move ahead. Jim is currently meeting with all divisions and unit heads in the Library to establish contact. He noted that a storage and infrastructure update is happening soon, which will add additional storage and more reliable storage to enhance the working environment. He’s involved with creating a media lab for the preservation unit and centralizing the digitizing efforts taking place around the library.
Jim shifted discussion to the library user printing environment, noting that new print release stations will be added soon for all areas with public printers. The goal is to keep paper from piling up and allow for a more controlled printing environment, but there could be high demand to use the print release stations, especially at certain times. Users will send print jobs to a virtual station, then release the print job later at a chosen location where the user can pick it up. The timeline for implementation is by the start of spring semester. The system will offer a consistent printing experience for students; it will eventually allow laptop printing within Papercut. A printer alert system will be included to keep staff informed at service points. We asked for staff training and user instructions. Jim noted that there will still be a cash option, capability for double-sided printing. He will look into limiting the number of jobs in queue, or automatic emptying of the queue after a certain length of time. Reports will be available on print activity at library sites. Papercut was fully deployed in the library at the beginning of fall semester. However Papercut does not offer a printer alert function, so IT is looking at other systems for this function.
Jim noted some questions built into the survey: What IT work do we want/need to do? How can divisions contribute to prioritizing IT in the Library?
Nancy requested an IT help/problem account for the unit, so that anyone could place a request for help and others in the unit would see that the request is already placed/so multiple people can access. The work around for this is to email ithelp or Facilities and copy the people who need to be involved.
C. SSD was visited by Jen-chien Yu, the Library’s new Assessment Coordinator. Jen briefly discussed Desk-tracker in the Library and its value for creating reports. She noted that the instruction database is controlled elsewhere. There was very little time to adequately cover this topic, so the SSD will invite Jen to another meeting to continue the discussion.
The meeting ended early so that members could attend an LIS candidate’s presentation
3. There was no time for the following reports:
A. Collection Development Committee (Ingold)
B. User Services Advisory Group (McCusker, Romero)
C. User Education Committee (Avery, Sheehan)
D. LSSC Representative (Wolf)
E. Faculty Review Committee (Romero)
F. Diversity Committee (Ingold, Sheehan)
G. Library Assessment Working Group (Avery)
H. Area Studies Division rep to SSD (Rudasill)
I. Staff Development & Training Committee (Ingold)
4. There was no time for the Round Robin.