Exceptions & Limitations Tools
- University of Minnesota’s Fair Use Analysis Tool: An interactive page that helps you to think through your use of a work so that you can decide if it is fair.
- Columbia University’s Fair Use Checklist : A pdf checklist developed to help you think through your use of a work and record your thought process.
- American Library Association Fair Use Evaluator : A tool that helps you to evaluate the ‘fairness’ of your use.
- Copyright Decision Map : A map that guides you through the information you need to know when deciding whether to use a work.
- Copyright Education & Consultation Program Checklist : A pdf checklist to help you think through fair use. Fill it out and keep a copy for your own record keeping.
- Fair Use Exceptions for Instructors Tool : An interactive tool that collects and summarizes information about a work you plan to use in the classroom.
- Copyright Term and Public Domain in the U.S. : A chart that shows what types of works are in the public domain based on authorship, date of publication, and more.
- Digital Copyright Slider : An interactive tool that shows what works are now in the public domain.
- Copyright Genie : A tool that helps to find out if an item is covered by copyright and, if so, what its terms of protection are.