"Bound withs" are two or more separate bibliographic entities bound together after publication, rather than having been issued together. This was a common practice before the 19th century when books were not sold as bound units, and it was up to the buyer to have them bound. Each bibliographic entity should be cataloged individually as in the steps outlined above. In addition to any other copy-specific notes that pertain to that work or to the volume as a whole, a 500 note field must be added to the record for each work indicating what it is bound with, and that field must end with a ≠5 IU-R, because that specific bound-together group is unique to the item in hand.
- As stated above, catalog each individual title and add appropriate “bound with” note to each record.
- As each record is added to Voyager, write down its bib record number.
- Create a MFHD and item record for only one of the bibliographic records.
- From that item record, under the Record menu, choose Link to bibliographic...
- At the prompt, enter the bib record number for the “bound with” item, save the updated Item Record to the database, and repeat as necessary for each entity.