General Policies Governing Materials
Books belonging to any of the following categories are to be sent to The Rare Book & Manuscript Library:
- Early imprints issued
prior to the dates indicated below:
- Europe: 1821
- Asia: 1821
- English language imprints from any location: 1821
- United States and Possessions: 1851 except
City/State Year Alaska 1901 Arizona 1891 Arkansas 1871 Boston 1821 California 1876 Chicago 1872 Colorado 1877 Florida 1861 Hawaii 1861 Idaho 1891 Iowa 1861 Kansas 1876 Minnesota 1866 Montana 1891 Nebraska 1876 Nevada 1891 New Mexico 1876 New York City 1821 North Dakota 1891 Oklahoma 1871 Oregon 1876 Philadelphia 1821 South Dakota 1891 Texas 1861 Utah 1891 Washington 1876 Wyoming 1891
- Confederate States imprints: 1860-1865
- Africa: 1851
- Australia: 1851
- Canada: 1851, except
Province Year Alberta 1901 British Columbia 1901 Manitoba 1901 Saskatchewan 1901
- Latin America: 1851
Note: In the case of periodical, newspaper and other serial sets started prior to and continued after the dates indicated above, only those “early imprint” volumes known to be rare are to be sent to The Rare Book & Manuscript Library.
- Works of high market value (generally over $1,000 per volume).
- Works printed in editions of 100 copies or less.
- Exceptionally finely produced books, including superfine facsimiles.
- Examples of private press publications.
- Ephemeral works of special importance (e.g., scarce pamphlets or broadsides).
- Delicate works whose storage or use requires special care or mediation.
- Works with important provenance or association (e.g., presentation copies signed by important authors).
- Manuscripts, except those within the scope of the University Archives or the Illinois Historical Survey.
- Books with movable parts, e.g., pop-up books.
- Children’s books printed before 1920.
- Material that may enhance one of the named special collections or collection areas of The Rare Book & Manuscript Library (e.g., Wells, Sandburg, Merwin, Mark Twain, Proust, Milton). For a selective list of named special collections see: http://www.library.uiuc.edu/rbx/manuscript.htm.
- The archival copy of all University theses.
Appendix rev. 7/2/2008